Friday, February 17, 2017

Two Words



Okay, I’ve been patient.  I’ve tried to take the high road and sidestep arguments I don’t want to get into with people I like.  After all, everyone is entitled to an opinion.  I’m just not big on jamming mine down someone else’s throat.  So I tend to turn inward, (usually mumbling, “Not my circus, not my clowns”).  Recently I attempted to head off a potential argument (you never want to get into a war of words with a senior citizen armed with zeal), by stating I’d give the man a chance to prove me wrong. Yet I keep hearing Michelle Obama’s, “When they go low, we go high” ringing in my ears.  I keep hoping the storm will pass and we all survive.
Well, it’s time to put on the waders…because this crap has gotten deep.
A wise man once told me, “The problem with stepping in crap is the more you move around, the more it stinks.”  I agree.  But I can’t take it anymore.  It feels as if my head is going to explode.  I find myself either avoiding the news or huffing in disbelief, ”Are you kidding me?!  Seriously?!”  So in my role as “the Kid” in the story “The Emperor’s New Clothes”, I have two words for he who believes himself king:
Grow up.
It shouldn’t be necessary to point out that hissy fits via Twitter are unbecoming to ANYONE in a position of power.  We’re all aware “you won!” …as well as who didn’t.  Real adults know when to let things go and move on.   Being viewed by the world, not as the leader of a great country (we knew that word before you claimed it, you know) but as a spoiled, rich brat who yells louder when he doesn’t get his way isn’t… well….great. Repeating the same lies over and over doesn’t make them true. Even a five year old knows that.  The problem is, for all you have, you don’t know how to be a true public servant. That’s what your job is, you know.  Serving others.
Let me help. I am a public servant.  I’ve worked in local government, serving my community, for almost 30 years.  Even with a college degree, my annual salary is probably what you spend on a fancy dinner…or a couple of rounds of golf.  I’m the Director of a facility…and the entire staff.  On Tuesdays I cook lunch…one that I planned, shopped for and served.  On Friday, I’m the janitor, cleaning toilets and taking out the trash.  Hell, I even take home our kitchen laundry once a month.  I’m part of a mandatory retirement system I didn’t choose, which allowed the public to vote that it was okay for the state to invest my money.  There have been some lousy investments, leaving my state representatives complaining that I, as an employee, need to pay more into the system.  (Because they’re paying out $3 billion a year and only taking in $2 billion a year…and somehow that’s my fault).  My 3% cost of living raise is eaten up by the increase in my only “perk”…health insurance.  In a few months, my retirement contribution will rise to 9% that disappears from my paycheck before it’s written.  I’m pretty sure if I make it to retirement; I might be working for free. 
And yet I stay.  Why?  To make a difference in the lives of those who came before me.  To offer an option for those tax dollars which pay my salary.  To encourage a sense of community in a world spinning out of control.  Do you know how my facility is viewed by those who use it?  As a “home away from home. Where somebody cares.”
I may not be rich or (in)famous, but I am somebody.  And there are more of us than your favorite polls describe.  If I could offer advice to someone not interested in it, I’d tell you….
…suck it up, Buttercup.  Life is hard.  You won’t always win.  My bank account may be skinny, but I have common sense, a working moral compass and a sense of humor.  Honestly, I think I’m richer than you.  And I know a lie when I hear one.
Just remember, you’re living in OUR house.  And we expect our guests to show some class and respect while on the premises.

8 comments:

Winifred said...

That was absolutely brilliant! You've encapsulated everything so well and eloquently.

I haven't said much as I'm a "foreigner" looking on from the UK. However I & many more couldn't believe that he stood a chance of winning as the thought of him as president was a frightening one. Surely Americans wouldn't vote for such a person. The man has no experience of politics, no class, no manners, he's an arrogant bully and I don't think a lie would choke him.

His proposed visit to the UK is causing huge dissent here already. Not one of Theresa May's best decisions. He won't be well received.

Whatever anyone thought of Obama's politics he was a classy bloke! Sadly you can't say that about the current president. So we have to wait and see what mess he gets himself and the rest of us into.

Linda deV said...

Well said!

Four years will fly by and I will be doing my part during that time to make sure there is not a repeat of 2016.

hope said...

Thanks Winifred. I started to just shake my head and shut my mouth. But there comes a time when being silent is considered being in agreement with what's happening. I did have a joke with a friend that His Grace probably thinks he can walk on water to come visit the U.K. We both agreed he should try...and maybe then he'd get a dose of reality. :)

Linda deV: Thanks. It's almost funny that his "honeymoon" period is self destructing due to his own delusions. I too, hope for better in the future.

Ponita in Real Life said...

As your neighbour to the north, we can see how clearly he is bankrupting your country, morally, ethically and financially. It is horrifying to watch. As you know, many of us up here have not been silent about him, including me. I fear there will be a revolution (of some kind) while he is in office. Just so you know, we got your back. xx

maurcheen said...

Lots of room on the west coast of Ireland, should things get too bad. XXX

hope said...

Ponita: that means more than you know. I hate that the world is judging the "average American" by that buffon.

Maurcheen: thanks, I needed that. :)

Kim Ayres said...

I'm not one for conspiracy theories - I don't tend to believe enough people are smart enough to stay silent for long enough. However, one thing that keeps crossing my mind is the circus is a distraction. While everyone is throwing up their hands in horror, and the country/word gets more polarised into us-and-them, then no one is looking at what else is going on.

Back at the time of 9/11, a junior member of parliament was sacked because of a leaked email in which she'd said it was a "good day to bury bad news." The point being, that while the news was completely dominated by the horrors of the collapse of the Twin Towers, it was the perfect time to pass the legislations that normally everyone would seriously object to. They could cut benefits to people with disabilities, and slash funding to hospitals, and no one would notice because the news would be completely focused on the events in New York.

What was clear, though, was she was sacked not for suggesting it, but for attention being drawn to the fact they do this kind of thing all the time.

Ever since then, whenever the news is completely dominated by something, I wonder what else is being slipped by unchallenged. And if you wanted to really control things without people noticing, then what better to have a vicious circus show that divides the nation and dominates the news? Then look at the past year and you realise while more than half the world cannot understand why such a hideous guy as Trump could possibly become the ruler of the most powerful country in the world, in fact he is absolutely perfect if you want the country, indeed world, distracted.

hope said...

Kim: funny you should mention that. :) Now that President Brat is not only bad mouthing the press louder but banning some of them altogether, I do wonder what else is going on. What's being hidden in plain view that we can't see for our collective angst? I'm just glad to have friends who don't judge me by his stupidity. But yep...I'm keeping an eye out.