Thursday, July 7, 2016

Current Policy....self inflicted

Like most folks in an election year, I sometimes feel suffocated by all the bad news that floats to the top.  Even an ocean hasn't stopped kerfuffles from drifting across the pond to land on our shores with a plop of dismay.  And poor Canada!  I heard from a buddy the other day who stated, "While you're making room for Americans, make sure to save some space for us Aussies...our politicians are nuts!"

So I've challenged myself to put into practice what Mama always said, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".   I'm trying to focus on the positive and ignore that which I cannot change...which is mostly the rantings of people who have not given a thought to their words before launching them into space.  Instead I will focus on:

"Hey!  Ponita has a new member of the family and he has a cool name."

"Did you know  Kim Ayres has tried his hand at sculpture and done an excellent job?"

"Have you seen the latest photos of Savannah's grands?  Guaranteed to make you smile."

"Wow...this week I found that Rachel Fox has returned to Blog world."

"In spite of being drawn into the Twitter Universe (where I will not travel), Ken Armstrong is still leaving us a weekly jewel of thought."  

"Has anyone seen the photo of maurcheen looking like a wise Obi-Wan Kenobi?"
(Now he'll need to post it here!)

I will try to keep positive.  True, as the election gets closer, odds are I'll crack.  Until then....

8 comments:

Ponita in Real Life said...

You're right... so very right. The deluge of negativity that is discolouring everything is so depressing! So your attitude is wonderful!!

Thank you for being the warm hearted caring friend I've come to know... and the offer to move to Canada still stands! ;-)

maurcheen said...

Some people have been commenting negatively on the current state of my face hair. When challenged the usual reply is "Well that's my opinion!" To which mine is "We all have opinions, I was brought up to give mine when asked for it."
Now where is that Jedi pic? :)

Xxx

maurcheen said...

Some people have been commenting negatively on the current state of my face hair. When challenged the usual reply is "Well that's my opinion!" To which mine is "We all have opinions, I was brought up to give mine when asked for it."
Now where is that Jedi pic? :)

Xxx

hope said...

Ponitia: not ready to give up on the U.S.A yet, although I'd like to send a large group of people to their room without supper....for a week or two.

maurcheen: I think you look (and are) wise and kind. Beard haters should take a vow of silence. ;)

savannah said...

Your Mama was right, sweetpea! I'm trying to put that into practice, too! xoxoxox

(and thanks for the shoutout!)

hope said...

Savannah, it has been a struggle. All this crap in Dallas made me cry on the way to work. And yet I still believe we'll figure it out and all come together.

Kim Ayres said...

I grew up in a house without newspapers. Sometimes school assignments required us to find newspaper articles, cut them out, and make some kind of commentary. So I would complain to my father about this particular form of poverty in our household and he would reply, "I used to buy the newspapers every day, but I became convinced the world would end tomorrow - or at least within a year. So I stopped buying them and the world is still here."

A few years ago I stopped watching the news on TV for pretty much the same reason.

Unfortunately it's now getting to the point where I'm beginning to get fearful going on FB, as my feed seems to be full of everyone angry, depressed or frightened of something.

And yet, I can look at the window and there are still birds singing, flowers blooming and people going about their everyday lives.

Yes, there is shit in the world. There will always be huge amounts of shit in the world. But I can't solve it all. But I'm fed it all every day, leaving me feeling responsible for stuff I can do nothing about. This leads to anxiety, depression and feelings of utter hopelessness and despondency.

So as much as I can, I don't switch on the news, I don't read the newspapers, and I skim very quickly through my FB feed. And then I try and remember to breathe

((hugs))

hope said...

Thanks Kim! I'd read our local newspaper since the time I was old enough to read....gave it up two years ago. All it had was old world news and local news was 90% bad things people can do to each other.

So now I pick the news I want to see WHEN I want to see it....although it's getting harder to find facts vs. Reporter opinion. And while it's been difficult, I'm trying to cling to a vow of silence when it comes to social media unless I have something positive to add to the conversation. The haters can have each other...I like my peeps here!

Have a great week!