Wednesday, June 8, 2016

I was wrong. Sorta

I previously mentioned that my employer was probably unaware that I was hitting the 29 year mark of employment.   Yesterday I found a letter from the Human Resources office which had been sent while I was on vacation.  It began,

"Congratulations!  
You have been identified as an employee who is eligible 
for retirement on or before July 1, 2016."

O-kay.  Should I feel good (hey, they know I work for them!) or worried? (Here's your hat, what's your hurry).    After all, I was officially eligible for retirement last year.  The next paragraph "reassures" me that the decision to retire is a personal one.  (Translation: Even though we're an "at will" state and can fire you whenever we please, we'd rather not push you out the door and have you run to an attorney). 

I'm then fed the standard governmental we're-here-to-help-you line which offers me the option of attending a workshop provided by our State Retirement System to aid in planning my retirement.  But it is MANDATORY I reply by June 17th in order to retire by July 1st.  And the date of the workshop?  

JULY 18th.  After work, of course.   Except technically, that's also after retirement.  I wonder if they suspect trouble?  The workshop is being held at the Sheriff's Department Training facility which....wait for it...use to be the old jail.  

No wonder people don't embrace government or public service as a career choice any more. 

For the record,  I politely declined.  Just think how much more comical this could get if I stick around a little while longer.

2 comments:

Ponita in Real Life said...

I won't get a letter like that until I am 65, which is when I hit my Magic 80 (years of service + age = 80). I plan on being long retired by then. That is technically when I can collect my maximum pension, although I could keep working after that. The past few years I have picking up an extra shift each pay period, and working a little bit of OT. The extra shift counts towards my pensionable hours, the OT helps pad the bank account and fund all the house renos.

You do what you want to do, Hope. So many places want to scoot the older workers out the door, without seeming to realize all the experience and job know-how they are losing. I do hope you get some kind of a pension out of this job. I know there are lots of jobs (especially down there in the US) that have no pension plans. The same applies up here to a slightly lesser degree. I am very lucky to be in a unionized profession that has a very good defined benefits pension.

We may not be spring chickens, but we know how to strut our stuff and get things done, right? ;-)

hope said...

The "problem" with being a public servant isn't who you serve, it's the pay. I suppose years ago I should've wised up and moved on but now I've been here too long. We're part of the "mandatory" state retirement system, meaning they take 7% off the top each pay period before I get a check. At least they pay interest on it.

Sad thing is I topped out of my pay range 4-5 years ago and we only receive annual 2% cost of living raises, which is a joke. For a college educated woman with common sense, I am not compensated like I would've been in the private sector. It's all trade-offs...I'll just hold on. Who knows, maybe some billionaire will donate money to our charity and I can quit to get paid for what I do now for free. :) THAT job is a lot more enjoyable and emotionally rewarding. Thanks for just listening...it helps!