Friday, May 6, 2016

The Queen of Soul's got it right

I know we're suppose to be an informed society but lately, all I'm reading is people "screaming" at each other in disagreement.  The vile name calling and the attempts to shame another's "ignorance" while showing their own is just...

...depressing.

And if everyone is shouting, who is listening?  How can you share opinions and knowledge if everyone is yelling all the time?

This is why I keep blogging.

I've been told blogging is dead, passe, irrelevant and a waste of time.  I feel sorry for those people who shirk a blog's sharing embrace.  Truth is, I've learned a lot from the people I've met through this medium.  I LOVE learning.  I love LISTENING even more...even if it is with my eyes.

The thing is, my friends here are from a variety of cultural belief systems.  We have varied lifestyles.  We live in different places yet all understand Earth is our community.  Most of the time I wish these folks lived right next door.  Kim could take our photos while Maurcheen sang to us.  Savannah would cook us an excellent meal while Ponita tended to any injuries received through over enthusiastic hugging.  

You see, despite the fact that we are a mixed bag of cultures, religious beliefs (or not), whether conservative or liberal politically speaking, our conversations are just that: shared observations combined with discussion.  I've never known anyone in my group of invisible friends to snap at the other or accuse them of being ignorant or just plain stupid.  We discuss, we share, we add to each other's knowledge.  Sometimes y'all are my best cheerleaders even if we've never met face to face.  But I know your heart.  Even if we don't agree, (because humans seldom do, all the time) there is one thing we all share.

RESPECT. 

It's something the rest of the world should consider before speaking.

So here's to letting the Queen of Soul sing us into a happy weekend.



7 comments:

Ponita in Real Life said...

You got that right, sister!! I love all of you who have become my "close" friends, despite the many miles between all of us. We are all of like heart.

Have a great weekend! I work tomorrow, so my real weekend is the next one. :-)

hope said...

Ponita: enjoy the day however you can. :) Glad you're in my world.

JeannetteLS said...

what a wonderful entry, and just what I needed to read today. I am so very weary of the FaceBook venom. I enjoy some aspects very much in there and I have been able to maintain friendships there, some of which began in here. There is an immediacy which I DO enjoy. Perhaps Blogging as we do it in here IS out of favor if what we are doing is simply trying to sell ourselves, our art, our businesses, etc. That's fine. What I have loved and realize that I missed IS the slightly slower pace. I think more before I hit the post blog button. I don't care about the bells and whistles just now, and I don't have to. People are here to truly connect I think, to appreciate one another's lives, writing, art--all of them together. I only returned about a week ago and am so glad that I did--to READ again. There is old-fashioned civility. And nuance. We need both. Thank you, Hope!

hope said...

Jeannette....glad I'm not the only one who enjoys a conversation rather than a shouting match. :)

maurcheen said...

I'm hoping to win the Lotto so I can get us all together in one physical place. There will be good food, and singing, photies to prove it, and yes, Pon can help with the hangover cures!
I am privileged and honoured to be part of this friendship gang.
:)
XXX

hope said...

maurcheen: crossing my fingers that you win. :)

Ponita in Real Life said...

Maurcheen: That would be fab! And, as far as I know, the only "cure" for a hangover... is to not drink too much!! ;-)