Thursday, September 10, 2015

Thank You Thursday

Thank You Thursday salutes my Dad.  Today marks the 20th year of his passing and I still can't get my head wrapped around that.  Just 58 years old when diagnosed with cancer, he died at 63.  Way too soon.

But he lives on in me.  Sure, I inherited his sinus woes, but I also got his hair color and his sense of humor.  The sense of humor alone has saved me more times than I can count.  The other night, as Hubby and I flipped through t.v. channels, we stopped on an old cop comedy, "Barney Miller".  My Dad loved it and we watched it together.  No one seemed to enjoy it like we did.  So we watched it, Hubby and I, laughing at the corny comedy that also addressed social concerns with subtle "ah-ha" moments.

When I think of Dad, I'll always think of laughter.  One of my seniors once told me about attending a funeral in an old country church.  The pastor, trying to reassure the family that their loved one was no longer on this earth but in heaven, chose the following explanation.  Pointing to the casket he said, "The shell is here, but the nut is gone."   My senior said she was shaking so hard trying not to burst out laughing that everyone thought she was wracked with grief. 

I have a feeling that Dad and I would've had the same reaction.

Here's a past post about Dad, complete with photos.  Thanks Dad...for everything.










1 comment:

savannah said...

you have my heart, sister! xoxoxox