Wednesday, March 25, 2015

No Way!




          Apparently,  I have reached the age of “No way!”  That’s the moment when you realize the passage of time might be tripping along faster than you’ve had time to worry about.
It started, innocently enough, with a newspaper listing of birthdays.  There was actor Bruce Willis…age 60.  My immediate thought was, “No way!”  I remember when Bruce had hair, a sexy smirk, sly wit and a way of driving his co-worker absolutely nuts on the t.v. series “Moonlighting”.  It doesn’t seem that long ago.  A quick check of IMDb informed me that show ran from 1985-89.  Really?
I grew up believing, “Age is mind over matter…if you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter”.   I guess that’s why the passage of time isn’t something I contemplate past planning for the next event on the calendar.  I just don’t think of it in terms of years.  Ever since I was a kid, people seemed to fall into two categories: people my parents’ age and those I admired, who were usually a minimum of 10 years older than I am.
Curious, I checked the newspaper today to see who else has aged when I wasn’t paying attention.  Holy cow.
Gene Shalit, the movie critic on the “Today” show (and the only white man in my childhood who sported an afro) is 89.
Astronaut James Lovell, Commander of Apollo 13 (“Houston, we have a problem”)  is 87.
Feminist Gloria “Era of the burning bra” Steinem is 81.
Aretha Franklin, who’s 73,  still deserves R-E-S-P-E-C-T.
Elton John is 68, (Ah, the singer I never liked thanks to my siblings.  My bedroom was stuck between theirs: Sis played Elton John at the highest volume allowed by parent, while little Bro tried to outdo her with Kiss.  My happiest Christmas was the year Dad got them headphones.  Plus there’s the fact we had a tone deaf friend who insisted on a loud, murderous rendition of  “Benny & The Jets”).
Actress Sarah Jessica Parker of “Sex & the City” fame hit the Big 5-0 today.  Not so sure her character of “Carrie” could’ve handled that one.
Hubby looked at me the other day and asked that eternal, adult question, “Where does the time go?  How could we have been in this house almost 18 years already?  Do you realize this year we’ll be married 35 years?”
          Did I offer a polite nod of commiseration?  A sigh?  My sympathy?
Nope.  I laughed.  Heartily.
You see, when I was a kid, my great aunt had a poem which began,”

How do I know my youth is all spent?
My get-up-and-go has got up and went!

Honestly, that scared the crap out of me!  It sounded like you got to a certain age and “poof!”, you were done.  Not me!  I would go towards the Golden Years high kicking and laughing.  It would be years before I stumbled across that poem again and found the last two lines:

But, in spite of it all, I’m able to grin
And think of the places my getup has been!

See, in my case, laughing was the appropriate response.  And I’m not done yet.  
Besides, I still think Bruce Willis’ smirk is sexy. 

7 comments:

savannah said...

that's it isn't it? we'll keep moving/rockin on until we drop! xoxoxoox :)

hope said...

Yes ma'am. :)

(Did you shudder the first time someone said that to you?)

Ponita in Real Life said...

Some days I think my get up and go left town long ago! LoL But I still keep chuggin' along. I'm with you on the rockin' til we drop thing, Savannah.

Willis is definitely still sexy, because hair the man does not make. There are many men with shaved or bald heads out there who are way up at the top of my list: my Old Fish, for starters. ^_^ And how about Sean Connery, Patrick Stewart?

You've been married 35 years?!?!? Holy moly, Hope... you must have been 8 when you got hitched!!

Kim Ayres said...

Sometimes it's the shock of finding out how old these people are, but sometimes it's just how young people appear. Teachers at my kid's school don't look any older than the kids. Policemen who don't look like their old enough to shave. Doctors who you can't believe are old enough to have graduated.

I don't feel like I'm getting older - it's the world that seems to be getting younger...

hope said...

Ponita: the first "older man" I ever had a crush on was Sean Connery, who gets better with age. (Although men just don't understand why women appreciate him). We'll get maurcheen to do our "Golden Years Are Coming" soundtrack. ;)

Kim: ah, I've experienced that too, especially for those in positions of "authority". I said to Hubby not long ago, "When did they start letting 14 year olds become cops?" :) You're right..it's not us, it's all those little young 'uns running around.

Thom Robinson said...

That's Sir Elton Ma'am LOL I wish the aches and pains were as easy to laugh off but what the hell I don't get older just wiser and meaner. Lol

hope said...

Thom: the seniors tell me "with age comes wisdom"...which they translate as they'll do what they please when they please. :)