Thursday, January 8, 2015

And the first "THANK YOU" goes to....

As many of your know, I write a one page, monthly newsletter for my senior citizens.  It's to keep them in contact, which is especially important for those who've been ill or away.  We talk about who's having a birthday, who's sick/recovered and changes coming up in our schedule.  On the reverse is our calendar of events, and then a large space for me to share what's on my mind.  Sometimes I use that space to share details of important (if boring) updates on Social Security or Medicare.  Occasionally it's a trivia game to challenge their braincells or a "Did you know?" story based on a common event, like the creation of Mother's Day or Mardi Gras.  I'm in my 22nd year of crafting this slip of news and because I don't like to repeat myself, it's a challenge to keep things "new".  But when I run out of newsworthy items or games for that back page, I resort to what I enjoy most: just writing.  

I've discovered the seniors' favorite part of the newsletter is what they refer to as, "your little stories."

Okay, I admit it.  I have memories of childhood which seem like yesterday and I can find a way to plug them into a story which they can relate to as well.  Most of those "little stories" are sentimental in nature...or take a poke at me in one of my lesser brilliant moments.  But it reminds all of us that we're human and connected, no matter where we are on life's path.

This month, that page got dedicated to "Random Acts of Kindness".  My Mom use to have a bumper sticker which read, "Today I will commit one random act of kindness."  And that stuck with me.  I don't know about you, but the world could use a little kindness about now.  I encouraged the seniors to be kind to someone when it was least expected.  Like compliment the first 3 people you meet each day. But one of my favorite suggestions, which came from a "Kindness Foundation", was to write 52 Thank You notes, one a week, to thank people for making a positive contribution to your life.  I've challenged myself to do just that.

So, without further ado, my first THANK YOU goes to Maurcheen.  

Thank you for sharing your gift of music in a way which brightens my day when the sun isn't shining and makes me want to dance on days when life is going fairly well.  You have no idea how many times I've had the blues, only to find that you've posted the perfect song to center me.

So friend, I'd like to.....

8 comments:

savannah said...

<3 just because! xoxoxox

savannah said...

i forget that what works on facebook doesn't work on the blog! you have my heart! oxoxo

maurcheen said...

Third attempt at leaving a comment! (My device)

WELL! You have made an old man very happy, thank you sooo much dear friend,I love what I do and the fact that folk like you listen is the icing on the cake. 😊

Xxx

maurcheen said...

Third attempt at leaving a comment! (My device)

WELL! You have made an old man very happy, thank you sooo much dear friend,I love what I do and the fact that folk like you listen is the icing on the cake. 😊

Xxx

hope said...

Sav: you say the nicest things. :)

maurcheen: you SO deserve it! As long as you keep singing, you'll always have an audience in me.

Kim Ayres said...

He definitely deserves it :)

Ponita in Real Life said...

YOU too deserve a huge thank you for all you do for your seniors, Hope. And for Hubby with his new knees, and all those arrow shooting soldiers. YOU, Hope,.... thank YOU!!

But I totally agree about Maurcheen. I love hearing him sing, and one day, we need to do that in person, with JB raising a glass along with us. :-) xoxoxo

hope said...

Kim...know you're multi talented as well. :)

Ponita: thanks...this week, I needed that. ;)