Monday, January 27, 2014

It's Coming

Outside my office right now it's about 69 degrees (20C) and the sky looks like this.


But on the other side of the building...a storm is brewing. 

We don't get snow in the south very often, but the front which is building off the coast and moving inland is suppose to dump 5-6" of snow on us Tuesday afternoon/Wednesday morning. (That's the local Weather Dudes...the Weather Channel Gurus are saying 8-12 inches!) 

For anywhere else, that's a drop in the bucket.  But here in the land of They-Who-Do-Not-Drive-In-Snow-But-Once-Every-Ten-Years it's an accident waiting to happen.  Although I've canceled lunch for my senior citizens for Tuesday so they'll stay home, I'm still waiting to see what the Boss says employees do.  My bet is we knock off early Tuesday.  Which would be nice as my part of the country is expected to see more snow than the workplace...and since it's coming inland, it's hitting my hometown first.

I'll keep you posted...just so those of you who have snow can laugh a little longer. 

However,  this reminds me of a similar forecast from my childhood...and we ended up with 3 feet of snow overnight! Locals still talk about "The Blizzard".  It brought the entire state to a standstill because we're not equipped for that.  I was walking home from school when it began and the snowflakes were so pretty.  By the time I got toward the end of that mile walk, it was coming down so fast I couldn't see 2 feet in front of me.  First time in my life I realized that snow could be sinister.

So, time will tell.  At least this time, I don't have to walk home.

4 comments:

Ponita in Real Life said...

Speaking of sinister snow, the instant you see a snowflake at work, hightail it home! Because it may be moving fast and you don't want to get stuck on the road in snow like that. Hope you'll be okay!!!

At least you don't have the -40C/F that we have right now... that would really stop you in your tracks!!!

savannah said...

Same story here, but we aren't expecting anything THAT bad! Stay safe and do what Ponita said, if you even see a fake of snow GIT! You know nobody down here knows what to do in any sort of strange weather!! xoxoxxo

hope said...

Ponita: I not only went home, I checked with the Boss and we'll shut down for 2 days...because the worst of it will come overnight. Right now just cold, rain and it's freezing.

Sav: Couldn't pay to get me behind the wheel right now but I want SNOW instead of ice!

maurcheen said...

When we get snow the country just switches off for the day. ;-)

XXX