Saturday, November 16, 2013

Seeing Spots

When I opened my door this afternoon,
to temperatures which have returned to spring like, 
I saw this.
Looking as if it had the measles, my door was humming with activity.

When I was a kid, I remember a rhyme, 
"Ladybug, Ladybug, fly away home. 
 Your house is on fire and your children will burn!" 

I know, we learned odd things in childhood 
but when you're a kid, it seems perfectly normal.  

Seeing so many of them, 
I was beginning to wonder if maybe OUR house was on fire.
They were literally everywhere!
(Yes Kim Ayres, I know.  
Bad photographer didn't check angle, 
thus added self and top of car to photo)

On the house and shutters.

The porch swing.

It was a virtual tornado of flying red giddiness.
I had them in my hair, on my shoulders, crawling up my legs...
even landing on the camera.
After I finished playing photographer and went into the kitchen, 
 a few hitchhikers flew off of me to inspect my kitchen curtains.

I know they will soon be gone.
Mother Nature keeps them on a strict schedule of eat, reproduce, then
 pass on to the great Ladybug Haven in the Sky.  

But until then, I will laugh when they buzz past my ears 
or tickle me as they march from my hair to inspect those freckles on my face.  
With so many spots of my own, perhaps they think we're related.

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

I don't judge other people's photography unless they call themselves a pro and are trying to sell it to someone :)

Chef Files said...

Nice post hen, it reminded me of long forgotten summers on the Costa Brava when my young childer where at the inquisitive stage. I'm not a lover of 'bugs', but something about these wee creatures is reassuring and evokes great memories of fun and laughter.

hope said...

Kim: which is why I respect you. :)

Chef: thanks. I've never seen so many ladybugs in one place in my life! Ah, fireflies are my childhood memory of fun with a Grandfather I lost too soon. Yet each summer when the fireflies come out to play, I think of him.

Thom Robinson said...

I could never figure out why a ladybug was given such horrible info. They are pretty cute if you ask me, however that amount...fly fly fly even if your house isn't on fire with the youngin's are burning LOL