Monday, August 26, 2013

Salute!

There is no feeling on earth like helping someone....and watching them soar!

This is Kinga Kiss-Johnson.  
Born in Romania, the 6'7" veteran became a U.S. citizen in 2007...while deployed in Afghanistan, serving in the U.S. Army, a fact she's immensely proud of.  I can't imagine what she's been through but I know that her service dog Balto rarely leaves her side and ALWAYS has her in sight.

Kinga was one of the first soldiers we helped when Crossroads Wounded Warrior Archery Foundation was formed.  I've never seen such enthusiasm over a bow...and never seen Hubby look short standing next to a woman.  :)  We've remained in touch and she's usually the first one to show up at the events we host, always cheering on other soldiers along the way.

The above photo accompanies the quote Kinga gave us to describe what CWWAF has done for her: 

"Thank you for all the support you have given me. 
You're helping me to reach for the sky, and know that the stars are not unreachable. 
My Star would be to compete in 2016 Olympics. 
You have given me the support by providing me with the tools to reach my dream. 
Archery gives me the everyday therapy to go on with my life 
and make my past easier to live with." 

Kinga has just shot ahead of that 2016 goal.  On Sunday, she was named to the U.S. Archery Team for the 2013 World Championships in Bangkok!

For those not familiar, the "twin" to the Olympics is the Paralympics, which is generally held following the Olympics.  In odd numbered years, those games are referred to as the World Championships.  Both are hosted by the Olympic Committee and both are a big deal!  We are so proud of Kinga for persevering through so much to get to that point!

But there's a hitch.  As soon as she discovered the good news, the other shoe dropped.  She must pay $6,000 to the Olympic Committee by Sept. 15th. That's enough to take the wind out of any one's sails.

So we're all putting our heads together and we have a plan. The CWWAF can't afford to sponsor her.  But we know people....who know people. One ripple spreads out in many directions.  After all, that's how CWWAF got its start: one act of kindness.

As soon as things are in place, I'll post where contributions can be made to aid Kinga accomplish that goal.  She put her life on the line to keep me free, helping her reach her goal is possibly the best "Thank You" she could receive. 

UPDATE:  A fund has been established to help Kinga reach her goal.
Make checks payable to:

"Kinga Kiss-Johnson Fund" 
c/o Bank of Clarendon
P.O. Box 908  
Summerton, SC  29148.   

Thanks!

11 comments:

Chef Files said...

At last a woman who can look me straight in the eye. Mind you, I get the feeling she wouldn't stand for any of my nonsense, that's for sure.

maurcheen said...

Powerful story, picture, woman.

And what a name!:¬)

xxx

hope said...

Chef: our deal is she doesn't lean down to hug me for fear of throwing out her back forever. :) She's as goodhearted as she is tall.

maurcheen: I love that name too!

savannah said...

what a story and what a woman! xoxoxo

angryparsnip said...

Ok so we write a check and send it to the bank ? I rarely write checks anymore.
What a great story.

cheers, parsnip

hope said...

Sav:for all she's been through, she is the most positive person I've ever met!

angryparsnip:if you are so moved to write a check, you send it to the Bank and address listed. THANK YOU for even considering it. Trust me, Kinga is worth the effort.

daisyfae said...

savannah sent me - and i'm glad she did. having just spent a week scuba diving with a wounded warrior, i have fallen madly in love with the spirit that propels them beyond disability. now, where's the checkbook?

hope said...

Thanks daisyfae! I almost feel sorry for folks who don't take the time to get to know these wounded warriors...their spirit is unbelievable!

Now if only the rest of the world played as nice as my blogger pals. Have a great weekend!

Ms Quotes said...

Sent here from Savvy!
Learning archery is on my bucket list.
I am inspired.
Qx

hope said...

MsQuotes: I'm sure you'd love archery! Not many sports allow you the option of concentration, whether hunting or just target shooting, PLUS FUN!

CMFA said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.