Saturday, October 13, 2012

Sharing with the Chef

I won't tempt you with the luscious vision of words the Chef employs when sharing his kitchen delights.  No, I'll let the recipe speak for itself, and give credit to my assistant, the "Old Gal" out front....a.k.a. the Pecan Tree.  For those of you across the pond, sorry....didn't have time to convert the measurements for you.


Pecan Pie

1 cup white corn syrup
1 cup dark brown sugar (although I prefer Light Brown Sugar)
1/3 cup Melted Butter
3 Eggs
1/3 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 cup Chopped Pecans  (cup of shelled pecans)
9" pie shell, unbaked (This is when we cheat and buy pre-made pie crusts)

Mix corn syrup, sugar, salt, butter and vanilla.  Add eggs, slightly beaten.  Pour into unbaked pie crust.  Sprinkle with pecans and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

My only "trick" is after pouring the mixture onto the crust, I use whole pecans and lay them end to end around the inside lip of the crust: this keeps all that gooey mix from trying to spill over. Plus it looks nice.  I then sprinkle the rest of the pecans as evenly as possible over the mixture.  And yes, having a tree outside makes me a little heavy handed on the pecans.

But she's such a sharing tree.  Just to give you an idea of what the Old Gal looks like, and she's probably close to 150 years old, this is the base of her alone.
It would probably take 2 men to get their arms around that base. And those limbs are about the size of say...an elephant's leg.

But how can I not love a tree that offers food and shade,
plus has a sense of humor?
 We have 4 pecan trees, 
but she's not only the senior most,
she's the only one
with a belly button.

3 comments:

Chef Files said...

Ahh, an excellent recipe dear lady. I shall have this under way by midweek and will let you know how it turns out. My thanks to both you and the provider of those most wonderful of nuts!

hope said...

I'll tell the Old Gal you send your regards. ;)

Jerry E Beuterbaugh said...

I have always loved pecan pie, but now that I only have around (not quite sure) four teeth left, it is so very hard to eat. (TMI?)