Thursday, August 23, 2012

Friday 55

Yes, boys and girls, we now come to that portion of the week where a mere 55 word story will get you wished a most enthusiastic good weekend.  Be sure to let the G-man know he owes you a visit.  I hope he knows we thank him for coming by. 

The face brought a flicker of memory.
Faint.
Fuzzy.
Funny.

Slowly, it came into focus. 
Annoyed sibling. 
Wishful revenge.

An older brother’s angry declaration, followed by shock.
Despair.

Her memory heard him loudly intone,
“I wish Cotton was a monkey!”

Wish fulfilled!
Or so he thought,
unaware his little brother had walked off,
Not transformed.




When I was a kid, every Saturday we watched reruns of “Our Gang” and the “Little Rascals”…many of which can actually be found on YouTube!  Amazingly, the dumbest things stick in the mind of a 7 year old…especially one who grew up, but allowed those memories to stick around.  Unfortunately, the worse the pun/joke, the harder it stuck.  (“Define ‘isthmus’”, the teacher commanded, to which one of these sweet smart alecks replied, “You’re my teacher, so is mus be my lucky day.”)  Hey, at least I married a person who, upon hearing the word isthmus, cracks up for the exact same reason.

While by today’s standards I’m sure the above scenario would be viewed as politically incorrect, to Little Kid Me it was a thrilling opportunity to hear another kid secretly wish their younger sibling would turn into something more... interesting. 

As for that face?  He can be found on my sidebar for www.care2.com and “Click to Donate”.   They have a variety of causes to support.  But every time this little guy’s face comes up on my screen, I hear that small boy fervently say, “I wish Cotton was a monkey!”   Let’s just say that donation in particular is cool karma for making a secret wish or two of my own as a kid.

4 comments:

˙·٠•●❤Sh@KiR@ ❤●•٠·˙ said...

I have never wish that any of my brothers were monkeys but dogs maybe!!! LOL. Great take and love your story. Great 55, Hope!
Mine is here
Have you a ROCKING AND BLESSED WEEKEND!!!
hugs
shakira

Titus said...

Ah,what we wished our brothers were. Gone, mostly, in my case.

Lovely, funny and a window into another culture's childhood! Have a great weekend.

Brian Miller said...

we just taught isthmus this week....smiles...we had my little brother convinced at one point he was a monkey...smiles...

g-man said...

I loved the one where the teacher asked Stymie whats 3 and 1?
he said...Oil!
Loved your pic Hope, it looks just like my Brother in law!!
Loved your Simian 55 also
Thanks for playing, and have a Kick Ass Week-End