Wednesday, July 25, 2012

What If...

...you could make a difference in someone's life by just reading?   Would you do it?  Do you think it would make a difference to the writer?  Would it somehow enlighten the reader simply by making them step out of their own surroundings to consider another?

I'm about to find out.

Today I came across a link that reached out and grabbed me because of one sentence: "Please join me on my journey and help me keep accountable to myself, my family and you."  

The journey is that of an Iraq war combat veteran with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).  PTSD use to be something no one wanted to discuss and the military often pretended didn't exist.  But it does.  And anyone brave enough to stand up and say, "I have PTSD and I need some help" deserves to see a helping hand, not a person's retreating back.

So if you're interested in reading as therapy, of aiding another human by simply chiming in with an occasional, "I'm here and I hear you", check out this blog.

You never know when a few moments of your time can change someone's life for the better. 

2 comments:

Pearl said...

Interesting. My nephew has PTSD, has returned from two tours of Iraq a markedly different man...

Off to check it out.

Pearl

hope said...

I think even listening can be helpful. Glad you're checking it out. :)