Friday, May 4, 2012

When The Moon's In Your Eye

And on Saturday evening, it WILL look like it's in your eye!

Known as a "supermoon", the Moon will appear 16% brighter than average because it will be much closer to the Earth than normal.  

According to MSNBC (among other news sources) on Saturday at 11:35 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, the Moon officially turns full.  25 minutes later it will be the closest it's been to Earth in several years...and it'll make you feel like you can reach out and touch it!

Here's the link with all the scientific details.  As for me?  I just hope my Scottish Moonkin will get a chance to sneak out of bed and take a peak.  :)

5 comments:

Thom Robinson said...

I can't wait either. Thanks for the link :)

mapstew said...

Cool! Though I'll be half way through entertaing at a wedding in the lovely village of Adare. (Maybe we can take a quick break!) :¬)

xxx

mapstew said...

'entertaining'!!

Kim Ayres said...

I think you'll find it's 16% brighter, not 16 times - which would make it nearly as bright as the sun... :)

hope said...

Thom and Map: you're welcome and enjoy.

Kim: I read WAY too fast yesterday. :) You're right and I corrected it. Thanks!