Saturday, March 3, 2012

Paperwork, Procrastinating People and Hugs from Heroes

Yep, that's how I've spent my week.

I've been compiling paperwork for the Charity that's being created as "Crossroads Wounded Warrior Archery Foundation".  There's A LOT of paperwork involved with being charitable these days.  But today I was able to obtain all the signatures needed for this go round.  I handed off the various logos I created so they guys can make a decision.  Yes, to ensure a quick decision, I only offered 3 designs and a 4th, "Or whatever you come up with."  

It was all worth it when the businessman smiled at me and said, "How do you come UP with this stuff?  I like it!"

Procrastination translates as a work world where everything is needed yesterday and no one involved in this group effort has done anything but...yes, said it with me...ME!  Two of us were given 8 days to compile data from all departments into a major project representing County government in a positive light.  Deadline for "sample" product is Friday and no one has turned in a thing.  I'm not sweating it...let the ones wanting to impress Council do that.

Hugs from Heroes was the bonus I received when the "charity paperwork" was being signed.  In walked another of our Army Wounded Warriors,  coming for a bow. He'd driven from Georgia, riding between those nasty storms popping up in this part of the country!  He opened the door, came in slowly, spoke to Hubby, then wrapped me in a rain soaked but heartfelt bear hug.  When I tried to slip away to let the "guys" talk with an excuse of finishing the laundry, our Army pal looked at me and said, "You've got all day Sunday."

He was right.  So I stayed a while longer, talking to him as he waited his turn while other customers filed in and out.  No, I didn't get the whole story.  But I got enough to understand that he had to let go of a 17 year law enforcement career when he was called in as a Reserve.  He said from 2003 to 2007, he worked his "day job" in law enforcement for only a year and a half between deployments and military training schools.  Due to his injuries, he had to give up law enforcement.  He grinned and said when he's not at the doctor's or at physical therapy, he teaches Army youngsters how to properly work with computers. 

He's a good guy.  So keep him in your thoughts and send him some telepathic love as he undergoes surgery twice this month for implantation of a device in his spinal cord which will enable him to walk better.  I can't wait for him to get back and finish that story he'd begun when we were interrupted.  The one  that started, "I lived in Berlin for 15 years during the Cold War.  You wouldn't believe the stuff that went on in the 70s and 80s."

If you tell me, I'll believe it.  I just want to get a chance to hear it.  From beginning to end. 

2 comments:

mapstew said...

Now THAT sounds like a story! (I have my beer ready, where's me chair?)

And there can't be THAT much laundry? Take Sunday off, wear stuff twice! :¬)

xxx

Thom Robinson said...

ffffTI hate it when I procrastinate but I think we all have it in us to do that. There's always something better that we can be doing than what we should be doing. Sending him much aloha and sunshine for his surgeries. I do hope you get to hear the rest of the story soon :)