Saturday, March 10, 2012

Oh it's Saturday, It's Saturday!

When I was a kid, we watched a program called "The Little Rascals".  Made years before I was born, the adventures of Spanky and "Our Gang" was one of the highlights of Saturday morning.

Moments of those shows stayed with me and just a particular line can make me laugh, even now.  In one episode, Spanky fakes being sick because he doesn't want to go to school.  He places a thermometer under hot water, sticks it in his mouth and calls for his Mom.  She is amazed to discover his fever is well above that which would make him dead, yet keeps a straight face.  Spanky, truly a member of the school of overacting, sighs that he's too sick to go to school.  His Mom sighs too, then adds, "Okay.  But there's no school today.  It's Saturday."

The announcement instantly cures him.  In his bathroom he starts to sing, "It's Saturday, It's Saturday!  Hey non-ee-non-ee and a hot cha cha!"

This video clip, shared by my Mom, made me think of Spanky's joy of discovery.  It may start slow, but it picks up at the 50 second mark.

Dance on friends, dance on!

6 comments:

savannah said...

LOVE this!!! xoxoxox

Thom Robinson said...

LOL too funny. Love the video. Started my Saturday off good :)

Titus said...

Super! So much to make the heart sing.

mapstew said...

I like to 'move it' (MOVE IT!)

I hope you dance! :¬)

xxx

pilgrimchick said...

I also thought there was a Shell Silverstein poem about this very subject.

Rachel Fox said...

I've always liked that song!
x