Friday, December 2, 2011

Friday 55

Before the Christmas rush saps all your strength, it's time to write a 55 word story.  Make sure you share with the g-man.  Good luck...and happy shopping.  I'm staying home.  :)


“You’re full as a tick.   
Keep airing your lungs and you’ll end up a cottonwood blossom,” 
Jim growled at someone in the distance.

“You understand that?” Sam asked in a puzzled whisper as Dean nodded. 
“What does it mean?”

“Means we never should’ve gotten him that Cowboy Dictionary for Christmas.”

“Igit!” Jim huffed in disgust.


I admit it: I love cowboy slang.  I once read a cowboy dictionary and some of these terms never left my head.  Translation:

Full as a tick: very drunk.
Airing your lungs: cursing
Cottonwood blossom: a man who’s been hung
Igit: Idiot

13 comments:

Mama Zen said...

This is too funny!

Monkey Man said...

Not in my whole put together have ah heerd sumpin so knee slappin'.

Brian Miller said...

ha. sounds like he grew up w'ar i done...

Mijayami said...

I find cowboy & southern expressions so intriguing. Thanks for explaining a few more for me :)

G-Man said...

A man who is Hung?
Like Milton Byrle?
Tsk Tsk Tsk....
Loved your 55 Little Missy.
And don't think that I haven't noticed you making some commenting rounds today...I'm so proud of you Hope...:-)
Thanks for playing, and have a Kick Ass Week-End

izzy said...

Wow! I would need a dictionary too!
it is a great feast-

Alice Audrey said...

LOL. I can ALMOST figure it all out without the dictionary.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Thanks for the translation. I think I would've been lost and it's so much funnier knowing what it all means!

Morning said...

very delightful one.
well done.

Larry said...

I liked your fifty five made me laugh. I'm the same as you I'm staying home.
Larry Moon "This Blog Of Mine"

Titus said...

Yee-haw! I don't suppose they really said that.

hope said...

Mama Zen: thanks.

Monkey Man: don't you wish people talked like that once a week? :)

Brian: some of those phrases felt a bit familiar around here too.

Mijayami: as someone from the south, let me know if I can help y'all with anything. :)

G-Man: at your service...mind out of the gutter. :)

izzy: but it's fun, huh?

Alice Audrey: the first phrase made me wonder full of what the first time. :O

Yvonne: I wouldn't be so mean.

Morning: thanks!

Larry: only store I went into today only sold groceries. :)

Titus: I'm sure they did. :) In fact, lots of "cowboy speak" comes from misinterpreting the Spanish they heard from Mexican cowboys.

TALON said...

That was great! It's really true - you do learn something new everyday! :)