Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Need a Christmas Idea?

Well, it's been 2 months of sitting in my "broom closet" temporary office, as my British senior calls it.  They haven't even started working on our Center.  My request yesterday for a tentative start date was met with, "I don't know."

This morning I realized that on days I'm not feeling real cheerful as I head to work, I keep hitting "Play" on my Hugh Laurie blues CD, "Let Them Talk".

Yes, THAT Hugh Laurie.  Actor.  Comedy partner of Stephen Fry.  Dr. House.

Forget the "Song and Dance Man" label once attached to actors like Laurie who weren't just content to repeat the words in a script.  Inside that very British gent beats the heart of an old black man from New Orleans...one who understands the heartbeat of the Blues.  

I LOVE this CD!  (And yes, I almost said album, but most of you would've merely nodded).  I realized why this morning.  

I was singing along with a song which has a repeating lyric of, "Baby you don't know, you don't know my mind. When you see me laughing, I'm laughing just to keep from crying."

Sounds sad?  Well, it IS the Blues.  But then I found myself gleefully singing along, "Sometimes I think my baby's too good to die. Sometimes I think she should be buried alive."

I laughed so hard I forgot to be cranky.  
Below is a musical clip of my favorite song, "St. James Infirmary."  There were some live versions of this, but the audience can get so rowdy you lose the reason I find this selection so wonderful.  The first 3 minutes are basically a piano solo by Laurie...then he swings into singing.  His style is a little unique, but that's part of the charm.  Truthfully, I've just about worn the first 3 minutes out!  Enjoy!


Update: if you'd like to see more, try here, which was a PBS documentary on the making of the album (there, I said it!) with performances....and one of the guest stars is Tom Jones!

5 comments:

Titus said...

Astonishingly talented man, and he does make me smile when he's singing and playing. His sincerity about the music is also very appealing.

Boo hoo for the broom closet saga.

Rachel Fox said...

I'd heard he'd done an album... like it!
x

Ponita in Real Life said...

Too bad about the Broom Closet but I'm glad you found something to bring your spirits up. I love Hugh Laurie too!!

Charlie said...

LOVE that album, which I just purchased and downloaded from Amazon. One reviewer put it this way:

"But first...the largest objection... Laurie's voice. Admittedly, it won't be to everyone's taste but I found it to have an emotional depth that surprised me. As Laurie himself notes in the liner notes, "why listen to an actor's music?" He doesn't pretend to be anything other than "a white, middle-class Englishman," one who is "openly trespassing on the music and myth of the American south." So there you have it. He clearly loves the music and is trying to share his pleasure with listeners.

I agree. And what, exactly, is wrong with his voice? Should he sound like a bubble gummer? A whacked out heavy metalist? Or like Hugh Laurie having fun and perhaps filling a dream?

I haven't been around Bloggerville for a week, so this "visit" wasn't a coincidence. (Hi Ponita!)

hope said...

Titus: he is a talented man! I added another link for a program about making the album, with more performing! And thanks for the sympathy: tomorrow marks the beginning of month #3.

Rachel: would you believe Tom Jones is on it too?!

Pon: again, thanks for sympathy...it keeps me going. Check out the second link.

Charlie! Not only are you missed, but I'm delighted to see that your excellent taste in music keeps on keeping on. :) I read an article the other day where Laurie said if they'd have him, he'd love to do a 2nd album! I like that his voice is quirky...it fits the emotion of each song, from serious to playful. I wish he'd do just ONE album of just playing the piano...I'm wearing out Tracks #1 and #11. :)