Monday, November 21, 2011

Dear Congressman: Buy a Dictionary

According to the polls, 91% of Americans are ticked off with Congress and their "Super Committee"'s failure thus far to do more than agree to disagree.  Okay, so it's Monday and I know better but I sent one of my Congressman a little e-mail this morning.  Why?  Because HE is on the Super-Duper-Need-a-Pooper-Scooper Committee.  I tried to catch his Aides attention with the subject title: "I still believe you CAN fix our economy!"

I know.  Subtle as a hammer.  Then I added:

"I appreciate and understand how difficult the task given to the "Super Committee".  What I don't understand is why COMPROMISE never appears to be part of the vocabulary during these discussions.  For once, will all of you kindly forget which "team" you're on and and pull for ALL of us...the American people?    That's what Americans are truly angry about at this stage: the needs of individual parties being put above doing the right thing, for the right reason, for the American people.  It's simple: you don't spend money you don't have. No, really.  It's just that simple.  Attempting to reach into taxpayer pockets for more in light of a perceived unwillingness to cut what's not necessary from the Budget will only raise the ire of the public.  As you work toward a conclusion, I think you need to know that most of us are rooting for you. All you need to do is focus outside Washington, D.C., to see that we're here.   Good luck and Godspeed."

I know.  Waste of time probably.  Hey, I figure it's better than an ulcer. And yes, I expect a "party line" reply in a couple of days, when this has grown into a new crisis.

In the meantime, I read a CNN column today that made me laugh.  If you want to read it in its entirety, go here.   Written by comedian Dean Obeidaliah the short version was this snippet:


"If the congressional "super committee" does not reach a deficit reduction deal by Wednesday's legally mandated deadline, 
I propose we take a page from the NBA owners and lock Congress out.

I'm serious. 
We, the taxpayers, are the owners of Congress 
and if Congress won't make a deal that helps our nation, 
then let's put a big padlock on the doors of the House and Senate -- 
or at least change the locks and not give them the keys."

I second that motion?  Anyone care to vote?

UPDATE: As predicted, the Super Committee gave up.  Hmmm, my Momma told me that Winners never quit and Quitters never win. Guess we know which camp those folks are in.  

Sigh.

No comments: