Saturday, October 29, 2011

Did You Know....

...because I didn't until today.

 

For the first time since what most of us grew up with as the "Emergency Broadcast System"  (This is a test.  This is only a test...) a nation wide test of this system will be held on the above date.  I'm accustom to this test cropping up on a monthly basis on my weather radio, statewide.  To this day, that danged "tone" drives me insane...I have hearing like a dog, evidently. 

For approximately 3 minutes the airwaves across America, from t.v. and radio, to satellite, etc.  will conduct this test simultaneously.  Try here for more information on this  test.

Although not overly publicized at the moment, I'm glad to have discovered this now, rather than worry terrorists had taken over the airways.   I only hope the EBS gets an A+.

Not so sure picking the date 11/9/11 was such a reassuring influence.

7 comments:

JeannetteLS said...

I had no clue either. I, too, go nuts--kinda like a dog does with certain tones--by that sound on some station or another almost every month.

Thank you for the alert!

Steve Bailey said...

I am calling conspiracy.... but of what..... Maybe the emergency broadcast signal carries a subliminal message.... and is actually a form of brainwashing....

hope said...

JeannetteLS: just another way the internet brings things up before the government does.

Steve B: no matter what they do, I'm STILL an Independent voter..neither party can sway me. :)

Matthew said...

When you hear the air attack warning, you and your family should take cover.....

It's the old WWII air raid sirens that send a chill through me. Despite never having heard one in anger and their relevance having been lost many years before my birth....

Ponita in Real Life said...

Having grown up on Air Force radar stations, I listened to the air raid siren go off every day at noon. At least everyone had their clocks set to the same time!

I don't think we have a national EBS up here in Canada...

Lydia said...

Well, this is good to know! Thanks. I intend to share on Facebook.
And I agree with you that the selected date is peculiar.

I sure hope that hospitals, etc. are alerted to this. It could cause untold heart attacks and other problems if all the TVs in hospital rooms and waiting areas blasted off like this.

G-Man said...

In the event of a Real Emergency, you would be instructed to turn to either 640 or 1240 on your AM dial...