Saturday, July 9, 2011

Smart Friends Make You More Interesting

It's true.  When people ask me why I "waste" my time blogging, I tell them about YOU people.  That's right, you there, reading right this minute.

You're intelligent, witty, socially aware and lots of fun.  You make me think.  Occasionally you shock me. Other times you make me cry...but not because you're mean.  Sometimes it's just feeling the injustice that comes with the consequence of choice.  We may walk different paths but we celebrate our differences by embracing each other as humans.

Yes, that does sound rather lofty for typing to people you've never met.

But in my case, it's true.  You build up my confidence when it flags, help me smile on bad days, make me grateful for what I have and challenge me to be better.  Oh, and you make me laugh.  I wouldn't trade THAT for all the money in the world. Some of you even sing.  So I hear.  Theoretically.

During one recent conversation of literary classics I had to admit I'd never even considered attempting it.  Unfortunately, that came out more like, "Gee, I really should get around to reading that before I'm 75."

So thanks to my insatiable curiosity and the gentle encouragement of Titus, plus the wonderful world of technology, here's what I'm now "reading" on my commute home every day.

Kindly notice I chose the UNABRIDGED version.
(That's my penance for slacking).
Rather than the usual 6-8 CDs of most books,
this one has EIGHTEEN!

And no, my dear Titus, I am not whining.  In fact, I've actually chuckled a time or two.  I had no idea Melville had a sense of humor.  I'm up to Chapter 14 so far...and now I look forward to going home for more than the obvious reason.

Thank you, my friend.

7 comments:

Jimmy said...

The original book, entitled 'The Whale'is a superb and intelligent microcosm of the human race, each character having a point of view that isolates him from others and from a full view of the world. Only Ishmael, who has always tried to see the other person's point of view, survives.

A classic book for all postmodernists, who rightly say that all perspectives are equally valid and equally mirrored in every day life.

Jerry said...

I've thought about audio books...then let that thought sink into oblivion. Now you got my interest-synapses to firing again.

hope said...

Jimmy you truly are a well rounded, interesting man! When I read, I often "cast" the characters in my head as if seeing a movie. So, who would you cast for this one?

Jerry: I laughed recently when someone claimed audio books "are for my Grandma". They're also great for people who want to keep their braincells alive but can't get everything done in 24 hours. :) The key is finding the right "narrator". Some of the best ones I've found are actors. Good luck!

savannah said...

amen, sister1 our lovely village has certainly held my hand on more than one occasion! i have an audio book that is sitting gathering dust, so perhaps i'll just grab it NOW! xoxoxxo

Jimmy said...

I remember watching Gregory Peck in the leading role some years back. A perfect choice at the time, the lighting and his bone structure struck a real chord with me.

James Earl Jones voice would have to feature as the narrator, it is full of charisma and keeps me riveted.

Titus said...

'There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method.

The more I dive into this matter of whaling, and push my researches up to the very spring-head of it, so much the more am I impressed with its great honorableness and antiquity; and especially when I find so many great demi-gods and heroes, prophets of all sorts, who one way or other have shed distinction upon it, I am transported with the reflection that I myself belong, though but subordinately, to so emblazoned a fraternity.'

Yay! Welcome to the club!
I've never done an audio book, though I do listen to serialisations and abridged novels on BBC Radio 4. It's something I really must try. Who's reading?

And yes, lots of it is funny.

hope said...

A guy named Frank Muller, who "read" most of Stephen King's stuff. He has one of those soothing voices that's easy to listen to...sorta like James Earl Jones. :)

Sadly, Mr. Muller was in a motorcycle accident a few years ago which took away his ability to record books for a living. I once wrote a post about him and sent it to his family. They were very much touched. Sadly, he died within the last couple of years.

But if you're gonna listen to 18 CDs, you might as well have THAT kind of voice along for the journey!

I buy lots of my stuff from Amazon, second hand that's probably only had one person listen to it. When I'm done, I donate my audiobooks to the local Library. Sometimes I even BORROW some from them. :)

Thanks again!