Sunday, July 17, 2011

Scottish Surprise

I belong to a local group which recycles things rather than merely toss them away.  Not only can you "Offer" an item, you can also make a "Request". I've  been able to donate the ancient piano at the Center to a military family who wanted something for their kid to learn on, as well as get lots of yarn and jigsaw puzzles for the seniors.

With a new computer, I decided I'd put my old monitor, speakers and keyboard into the "Recycle" bin for someone else to pick up. There was never anything wrong with the monitor, I just wanted a flat screen.  So hopefully this group of items will help out someone as they save up to buy what they really want.  

I didn't realize how "well" I'd stored the monitor in the closet to protect it until I had to pull everything OUT of the bottom of that closet to get to it.  It was then I rediscovered two books someone had given us years ago.  Everyone in the family knows I like antiques and books...why else would I be able to pull out of the closet the first two volumes of the Encyclopedia Britannica....from 1854.  Granted, the original owner noted it was 1881 when he purchased them, but they're still fun.

When I opened the first one up yesterday, I found 2 pages which had been included which evidently were advertising for other volumes.  Thought some of you might get a kick out of this so I scanned them.  (After carefully encasing them in plastic sheets first!)

What I found so interesting was that all pertained to Scotland! 


So Jimmy, did you ever go trout fishing?


Look Shug!  There's "my" Isle of Skye again!


Titus: a little religion for you.

Or perhaps you'd rather work in the Garden.
I have a question, I'm hoping one of you can answer.  When I opened the book, the majority of the pages have not been cut on the top of the page!  In some areas the tops have been slit, as if someone use a knife to separate them.  Anyone know if this was the way these books were sold; perhaps to keep the pages in tact?

Any ideas, Professor Shug?

4 comments:

Jimmy said...

Aye hen, I'm a keen angler indeed, all be it trout or salmon. I am also an avid collecter of tropical and marine fish, of which I have an especially large glass tank as a dividing wall in the living area.

I also have a refurbished croft up in Skye for holiday lets should you wish to find peace and solitude at any time.

Titus said...

What a treasure trove in just a few pieces of paper! Very intrigued by the Hebrides one - the illustration looks like the Devil's Causeway or else a very large souffle!
Very tempted by 'The City: Its Sins and Sorrows'

And I think books used to be sold that way.
'Books are often printed with eight or even sixteen (or more) pages on a single large sheet of paper. These sheets are folded down to make a “gathering.” In earlier times, printers and binders often did not trim the edges, choosing to issue their books with the edges uncut and the gatherings unopened (the Spanish term for this is intonso). Such books are difficult—if not impossible—to read because the uncut sheets are literally folded closed.'
No, I don't know when exactly when 'earlier times' is either!

G-Man said...

Aye Lassie...
A Dandy post!

hope said...

Jimmy: are you one of the beloved Fly Fishermen clan? :) I think I may be jealous of your Skye claim. Have no idea why that place has always fascinated me. This past year my family tree work leads me to believe one of my maternal grandma's Torrence family was originally Torrans...from Scotland and possibly the Isle of Skye. :) Hmmm, you may become my next family tree resource.

Titus: wonderful, huh?! As for those odd pages, they don't appear to be able to fold out, but only a few of them have been "sliced" apart for reading. Thank you for not making me look it up. Although Mom did go looking to identify your "weed"...and was thrilled to hear what it was.

G-man: Thanks! Hope you're feeling better.