Friday, May 20, 2011

Vacation Update

Sometimes a vacation is just that...vacating the space where you work 40 hours a week.  This one was a reward to myself. 

I've worked for the same employer for so long, I  earn 3 weeks of vacation a year.  Then one day you arrive at a point where if you don't use it, you lose it.   Considering the pay scale, (and not even a cost of living raise for the last 2, and probably 3, years) I'm not giving ANYTHING back.  Before anyone reprimands me with the, "Be thankful to have a job in this economy" speech, you should know I took a vacation because I feared I might say to my employer, "And you should be damned glad to have me doing said job!"  

Today marks my 24th year with said employer.  Not that they noticed,  but I did....and a week away seemed like a good idea.  :)

So here's what Hubby and I have been up to, as Bou sits on the sidelines um...supervising.  When he's not snoring.  

First we started by painting the living room...it went from a kinda pale yellow to something more like a blush color.  Repeat after me, "It is not pink!" which is what Hubby yelled when I told his Mom on the phone it had a blush tint to it.  

This is looking toward the front door, 
which is on the right, out of camera range. 
You can click on any photo to enlarge it.

The blinds aren't quite as see-through as they appear: 
from the inside yes, from the outside...NO.

Turning left lets you see the propane log fireplace and through those windows, Hubby's shop can be seen...the better to view customers driving up early.
Hubby re-did the hardwood floors himself...not sure who was prouder, him or me.  Not only do they look wonderful, 
they're great for she who was diagnosed with asthma.  
Which is also why the curtains were replaced with the bamboo blinds. 
And no, that's not a stripe of white paint on the wall, it's....
the reflection off this cabinet in the corner.
As you can probably tell, I love antiques!  
The collection of kerosene lanterns on the fireplace 
is a fraction of the entire collection.
The tall cabinet with the clock atop is filled with antiques:
bottles, old cameras, Indian arrowheads and pottery,
old fishing lures and Hubby's Grandpa's knife.
In the background is the guest bedroom with
the chair I always called "The Swan Neck Rocker".
And for a good reason....the chair arms curl down and have a swan's head carved where they curl around, making the arms look like a swan's neck. 

For those of you who love animals, I'm married to a hunter.  
Having a deer and ducks on the wall doesn't bother me 
(I tie bows on them at Christmas!) 
but I decided to leave that wall out.
Besides, seen one t.v., you've seen them all.

On to the bathroom, which went from a pale blue to...
Turquoise!
The white "door" on the wall reminds me of my grandmother's house....
"Memaw" had a half door going from her living room to the screened in front porch and it fascinated me as a child.  I swore I'd always have one.  
This is as close as I could get.

I didn't take any photos of it, but we also re-did the floor with a tile which looks like white marble.  I can proudly say I laid all of them myself, while Hubby did the hard work of measuring/cutting those weird corners.  You live in a house over 125 years old, nothing is flat or even.

And now on to the silly.  Sometimes, you find an object in life that has little useful purpose but you purchase it for yourself...and it doesn't have to make sense to anyone else. All winter I drove by a small Farmer's Market style stand which doesn't open until Spring.  And no matter what kind of mood I was in, every time I saw this little guy, I grinned.  Then burst out laughing.  I yearned to own one just like him.

So last week I stopped by the place, which was FINALLY open, and inquired how I might purchase one.  The woman looked chagrined as she advised her husband had been ill all winter and hadn't made any more.  I must've  looked disappointed as I sheepishly told her how the little guy had made me laugh when life wasn't funny.  She asked if I would be interested in HIM, as if she feared offending me...after all, she deemed he needed a new paint job.  My enthusiastic nodding made her run for her husband (and this was not a young couple!) to ask.  He came in and was so surprised that I was serious, that he went outside and plucked this little guy up for me.  The man was grinning ear to ear and so was I....perhaps the wife thought we were both a little nuts.

Meet Chicken George, as I've dubbed him.  
(The name is a long story).
He has purple re-bar legs, a hot pink pitch fork body, a bright yellow beak made from a tooth of a hay cutter, 2 white nuts for eyes and a green comb made from part of a hay rake.

He's just plain funny.
 And an hour after I took this,
he was,  
well...
dead. 

Hubby was teaching our 11 year old nephew,
(an only child whose father has been working too much),
how to drive the golf cart.
Nephew finally hit the brakes....
but not until he ran over Chicken George 
to land against the fig tree.

Hubby is a patient man.
Very patient...considering he already has  a broken rib.
He informed the nephew that HE would have to tell me what happened.

The gist was that Chicken George had a bad day.
And I got an extra LARGE hug before nephew and Mom left.

Hubby's gonna have George welded where needed but for now,
I hear George is looking like Alfalfa from "The Little Rascals"
(And if you're not from around here, google that one just to see
the hairdo that poor kid use to wear).

At least I'm not at my desk.

:)

9 comments:

Titus said...

Waah! I'm so traumatised by Chicken George I can hardly comment on the decorating. Love that living room and the turqoise is zing with a capital Z. Zing.
Keep us posted about George's progress.

Monkey Man said...

Wow. You have been busy during your holiday. AND you are right, today's corporate America has to stop telling us we are lucky to be employed and start remembering our hard work and dedication. Take that vacation...you deserve it.

Sorry for Chicken George.

Ponita in Real Life said...

The house looks splendiferous!! I love all the wood, especially the floors and that fireplace. Absolutely lovely! Same with the turquoise bathroom. It's very "Jamaican". :-)

Hopefully Chicken George will be right as rain once he's welded back together. I quite like the little guy! Farm implement art is pretty cool sometimes.

savannah said...

i.am.dyin.here.

seriously, sugar, i haven't laughed this hard in days! xoxoxoxox

steven said...

big congratulations on making your home even more special for yourselves but . . . well, i'm bummed about chicken george!!! steven

hope said...

Titus: I didn't realize how bad the "wreck" had been until Hubby took me outside to get a look at the golf cart and tree! I don't dare look at Chicken George until he's repaired. But I still have hope he'll be fine. :)

Monkey Man: I think it's ironic that I took time off because I was feeling kinda beat up: got Chicken George because he made me laugh and then HE got beat up. :)

Ponita: Thanks! Hubby kinda shook his head when I brought Chicken George home but HE was the one who identified the "pieces" I wasn't sure of. Nice thing was I discovered that although the produce stand doesn't carry alot of produce, this guy is an iron worker with TONS of cool stuff inside. I see motivation for Christmas shopping in June.

Sav: I'm glad I could make you laugh, cause I know you're about to have your hands full...and your house. Come back here to put your feet up when life gets hectic.

steven: Thanks for the home improvement compliments (I swear every May vacation is when we do that stuff!) and I promise to update everyone on Chicken George. There's an archery tournament this weekend and I hear that a surgeon will be here...one of the guys is a welder. ;)

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Your Living Room looks so cozy and it would be a grand place for a cup of tea.

Poor Chicken George, I am sure he will soon be Right as Rain.

A wonderful weekend is wished for all of you.

pilgrimchick said...

What a lovely set up you have!

G-Man said...

Nice Crib.....