Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Odds & Ends

 Today was just one of those weird days, where turning every corner held a "What the heck?"  moment.

1.  My radio announced that North Korea now has a nuclear program equal to Iran's.   How do we know?  They told us they were going to build it.  Sig Hecker, a former Stanford professor was one of several who toured the plant, where he saw "2,000 centrifuges set up in the facility, as well as construction on a 25 megawatt light water nuclear reactor."  

"My jaw just dropped, I was stunned," Hecker said of the moment he saw the centrifuges. "To see what looked like hundreds and hundreds of centrifuges lined up... it was just stunning. In a clean, modern facility, looking down I said ‘Oh my god, they actually did what they said there were going to do.'"

Note to Government Big Wigs: Next time N. Korea talks, play like E.F. Hutton and LISTEN.  Especially after today's antics.

2.  Artist Jasper Johns, he of the abstract painting world, is set to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom.  I knew he was a S.C. boy [can you call an 80 year old guy that?] but what I didn't know was that he graduated from the SAME High School I went too.  Granted, 11 years before I was born.  Interestingly, my parents and I graduated from that same building.  Not until Little Bro was born did he get a "new" high school. Ironically, the "gym" side of the school is where my Department's office is located. 

3.  Why is it that "problems with voting" on the t.v. show "Dancing with the Stars" got larger notice in my e-mail news updates than the fact N. Korea shot at S. Korea today?  Could it be because Sara Palin's daughter is a finalist?  Oh and Shug, just so you know, the Royal Wedding is scheduled for late April at Westminster Abbey.  I hear all the Kings & Queens get crowned there...and it's where the funeral for this poor girl's dearly departed mother-in-law was held.  Next news flash....two S. Korean Marines were killed in today's attack instigated by N. Korea.  Not clear if they announced that in advance or not.

Whatever happened to "in order of importance" with the news?

4.  Took my mother-in-law, who doesn't drive, to a dental appointment today.  Sat in the most comfortable, enveloping leather chair I've ever perched upon.  Settled back to read my book when the magazines on the table caught my eye.  Beautiful, glossy covers of lush photos, from food to flowers.  But the title made me go, "Whaaaat?"

Garden and Gun.

Really?  Is that hunting critters that eat your vegetables with a pistol?  Going on safari for moles?  A CIA style gardening plan to exterminate bugs with extreme prejudice?  I had to check it out.  The magazine was explained as "Garden and Gun, a Southern lifestyle magazine that's all about the magic of the new South - sporting culture, food, music, art, literature."  

Again.  Really?  I've lived in the South all my life and I missed this one.   I didn't even know a "new South" had been declared.  Do the publishers of "Southern Living" know about this? 

I shall now retreat ito the peace and quiet of my own home to enjoy the new heat pump we had installed today to heat our 125 year old home efficiently.  Did I mention it was 80 degrees [27C] today?

Hey Honey....how do you switch this thing over to air conditioning?

Hope your week is a good one!

10 comments:

Monkey Man said...

It is a messed up world we live in.

savannah said...

we live in interesting times, sugar, and even more interesting in the south. i've seen that magazine. it's too slick for words - in fact, first time i saw it, i thought it was a joke! but then again, it makes all the sense in the world down here. xoxoxo

happy thanksgiving!

G-Man said...

Garden and Gun?

What next? Books and Bitches?

Dogs and Dresses?

Pimps and Popcorn?

Onedia said...

Garden and Gun....That will go over really well here. Lots of people could take it with them when they blow off work in favor of a good fishing or hunting day!

Fickle Cattle said...

Garden and Gun sounds like an awesome magazine, hahaha. And it could have been a metaphor for this entire post. :-)

http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

hope said...

Monkey Man if I didn't have a sense of humor, I'd drown in my own tears.

Savannah...I thought that magazine was a joke too! Have a Happy Turkey Day...no joke. :)

G-Man; tis a strange world.

Onedia: the magazine was odd enough but in a DENTIST's office?

hope said...

Sorry Fickle Cattle...missed you there.

Interesting point. I hope some day gardening wins out.

Titus said...

In fairness, the newspapers over here (well, the serious ones) haven't done a bad job with the magnitude of the N/S Korean situation. And wedding fever has died down a little.
I've been to midnight mass on Christmas Eve twice in Westminster Abbey - it is a beautiful, beautiful church.

Agog at Garden and Gun. Just. Agog.

Onedia said...

Hope, yep I can see it in a dentist office....here it would be there with field and stream and golfwhatever and rod and reel and ......and all the tv's are set on Foxnews?

Michael G-G said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog, hope. I enjoy your blog too. This is a great post on the Korean peninsula, and the fact that something of such magnitude is bureid among all the trivia of life!

Was it really 80 degrees? We hardly see that in the summer in Portland!

Yours,
Michael