Friday, September 3, 2010

Friday 55

It's time to play "Write a story in 55 words".   When you do, be sure to let the G-Man know. 




Little Jack Horner, sat in a  corner.  Crying.

Jack & Jill went up the hill to see why.

Little Bo Peep, who’d lost her sheep, paused. 

“Little Boy Blue, come blow your horn.  
Cat, bring your fiddle.  I’m feeling blue,” Jack sighed.
“Kids don’t know us anymore.“

Shocked, Little Miss Muffet fell off her tuffet.



Ah, sadly it's true.  I keep asking the Afternoon kids how many Nursery Rhymes they know.  First I have to explain what a Nursery is, then a rhyme.  This is greeted with, "Oh yeah.  Jack and Jill went up the hill and stuff."

Turns out they have no idea what "and stuff" is, nor are they familiar with Jack Spratt, Peter Pumpkin Eater or that when cows fly over the moon, a dish may run away with a spoon.  All my childhood friends from Mother Goose don't exist to them.   And they think Mother Goose is just a formal name for Mama Goose.

Sigh.

15 comments:

G-Man said...

I LOVED this post Hope!
I still have my original Mother Goose book.
Great 55 My dear...
Thanks for playing, and have a Kick Ass Week-End...G

G-Man said...

I'll be playing YAHTZEE!!!

Brian Miller said...

nice. sad that these have fallen by the wayside...they are so fun and full of good morals...nice 55.

Suz said...

...and stuff! oh dear...

Eric Alder said...

This is so melancholy and true!

(I'd like to see it expanded to include the cow jumping over the moon and others)

A cleverly composed 55, Hope!

PattiKen said...

And Humpty Dumpty can never be put back together again. Well, one consolation is that they can probably tell you all about the Cat in the Hat and Green Eggs and Ham.

And time marches on.

I liked your 55 a lot.

Alice Audrey said...

It's partly my fault. I was so busy with the Little Golden Books that I forgot to introduce the kids to nursery rhymes, and then when I tried, they were already too old and objected.

My 55 is here.

Thom said...

OMG too funny. This is excellent. :) Sad but so true :) Have a wonderful weekend :)

Judy Sheldon-Walker said...

I have taught head start and they are moving away from nursery rhymes. Books are taking on a different tone, ones that teach lessons or morals. I read Mother Goose to my children but their children I doubt heard the rhymes.

TALON said...

Awww! I hope you teach them some! I know when I have grandkids they'll know all of them and all about Peter Rabbit, too :) Loved this 55.

joanny said...

c'est la vie!-- nice 55er, a whole different generation, it has to be a video game of sponge bob --or wii,

then they know more then you.

Cheers,
Joanny
http://thedowsersdaughter.blogspot.com/

Warden Files said...

Wonderfully eloquent, and sadly a sign of the times.

Titus said...

Tragicomic epic!

steveroni said...

Yeag, G-Man has someone read Mother goose to him every night at bed time--grin!

True, ya just do not hear about these child "story peeps" any more.
Shame it is...

Thanks. excellent blog post "55"

moondustwriter said...

That is the truth - sad
they know all sorts of ridiculous things tho. Too much TV not enough books.
I'm a children's writer I will never believe children don't need books to train them