Monday, June 28, 2010

It's Official. Mondays suck

I won't bore you with the details of the Summer kids...they're just plain ignorant and possibly the spawn of the devil. Even the Director agreed and went to go see our Boss this afternoon. After all, my "help" consists of two 17 and 14 year old girls who want to be Buddies with the kids. Except the older one is prone to fits of screaming at them to "Shut the hell up! I can't take you people any more!"

Sigh.

So when Hubby called and wanted to know where I was on the way home, I thought he was just checking to see if my head had exploded....or if I'd actually blown that whistle to quiet the kids loud enough that he heard it over 30 miles away.

I think, he began casually although the tone of his voice wasn't teasing, we might've had a tornado here at the house.

And he wasn't talking about Bou running around.

The storm came up quickly and out of nowhere. Hubby said he was in the dining room when all of a sudden the whole house shook....hard enough for the dogs to come running TO him as if wondering what was going on. As quick as it came, it was gone. But it obviously came from one direction because as I was driving home, I could see a swath of destruction going in one direction....toward our house.

Fortunately for us, we mostly lost trees, some limbs and a few shingles off the pump house and shop roofs. The house had leaves plastered to it but no damage. Both of our loaded plumb trees were rendered into pieces, with one trunk surviving on each. On the close up you can see how hard the wind blew...those aren't broken, they're pushed up from the roots!


Thankfully, all is well. But you know what the weird thing is? I spent a good deal of time Saturday scanning old photos. There were a couple I knew nothing about, so I went online to find the history of what had happened in April 1924.

Would you believe the answer I discovered yesterday was, "The worst tornado in S.C. history"?! Two tornadoes had occurred simultaneously to run over a hundred miles, covering half the state in one afternoon.

Considering how those photos looked, we dodged an ugly bullet. And for that, I'm grateful.

17 comments:

savannah said...

SWEET MARY SUNSHINE, sugar! ok, really, OHMYGAWD!!!! the first 2 paragraphs had me smiling and then ...y'all could have knocked me over with a feather! we haven't experienced it as dramatically as y'all did, but i KNOW that sound/feel of winds rising up seemingly out of nowhere. i'm glad y'all made it out ok with no serious damage. xoxoxoxo

steven said...

storms blowing everywhere. last week we had an earthquake, tornadoes just north of here and i had to teach through it all. bike home and then work through the evening. boo hoo!!! i'm glad you're safe! i'm glad your whistle works. steven

Monkey Man said...

Ack! And I complain about a few clouds.

Susan at Stony River said...

Kids in summer and tornadoes -- sounds like you had a matching set. I'm glad everything's (mostly!) okay. What a Monday!

Peggy said...

OMG X a million. I was going along reading about the kids and your helpers and then BAM...the tornado. Holy cow. Sorry about the trees but thank God you and hubby,and the furkids are fine!

mapstew said...

And we give out about a bit of rain!

Thankfully you are all ok and in one piece!

Wow! :¬)

xxx

expat@large said...

Scary stuff! Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide!

Thom said...

Run Toto Run. What an event I tell you. I'm glad you all are okay myself :)

Rachel Fox said...

Big country, big weather!
x

GrahamW said...

Catching up on some blog comments and checking in here post storm. What a Monday! Hope that your next day was uneventful - All comments about frustration pale!

hope said...

Thanks folks!

Super Hubby got the majority of it cleaned up today...I tried helping for about 45 minutes this morning before work, but I turned into such a girl. It's always the little things.

Funny; didn't cry when Auntie died [relieved that she was no longer in pain I suppose] nor when the bank declined to be her Rep and I'll have to do that too. I was fine even with all the tree limbs down, even though the plum and fig trees were loaded. Thought maybe the kids had just made me numb. But I burst into tears this morning when I lifted a limb and found...Mrs. Walter. She'd evidently been in the tree where she'd overseen the chicks she and Walter the Attack Mockingbird had raised this spring. I gently laid her in the field so the dogs wouldn't find and "retrieve" her.

Walter is fine...in fact he was fussing on the front porch. Hubby said after the storm he walked out on the front porch and Walter was sitting in the corner, huffing and puffing about what was going on with his lawn.

Neither Hubby nor Walter laughed at me this morning...which was a good thing. And would you believe we're under another warning at this moment?

Titus said...

Oh hope!
Well, as my father would say when one of us had smashed up another car, at least no one's injured. He was never so happy the next day, but the initial relief is the thing to hold onto!

So sorry about your lovely trees, what dramatic, instant destruction. Hope the clearing up goes OK, and sending love and my wish for a few calm days for you.

Loved Thom's comment, by the way. There's no place like home!

Titus said...

Waah! to Mrs Walter too. I'm relieved he's fine.

Nessa said...

Holy, Moley that's scary. The tornado too. No really. The pictures are frightening. And they come and go so fast.

moondustwriter said...

wow - close call
grateful that you didn't get the tornado sisters visiting you

Jesson And Rey Ann said...

nice post!.... really like it

Brian Miller said...

that is craziness...wicked storm...glad you are ok...