Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Physician....heal that Bishop!

Now let me preface this with two things: I believe in God. That belief includes the opinion that He gave us a brain....which we're expected to utilize for good. Secondly, I respect that every religion has their own "code" to follow and there are times we must "agree to disagree" so that Wars don't break out. But I still believe common sense should be a part of those philosophies.

One last bit of information before I offer the rest of the story.....the one which made steam come out of my ears today. I was born into a Baptist family and I married a Catholic. We married at a time when I didn't have to promise to raise my children in the Catholic church...or else. Although we visited each others' church when dating, we no longer belong to a church. Oh, both of us still believe in God and probably have more conversations with Him now than we did on Sundays. I just don't think an hour a week makes me a better person or that stained glass windows are mandatory for prayer. How I live every day should illustrate my beliefs.

The other thing you should know is that I think a woman has a right to choose whether she's a mother. No, I'm not Pro-Choice nor Anti-Abortion. I'm on this interesting fence called, "Use your head... and no, abortion is not a form of birth control." You see, although I love kids, we weren't able to have any. But that's okay. There are plenty of kids out there who need love and encouragement. And you don't have to be their mother to do that.

Today I learned of a nun who could use some encouraging words herself. After what I heard coming home today on NPR radio, I believe He might personally be coming down to smite a few Catholic Bishops and their lot.

Just when you thought the hierarchy in the Catholic church couldn't go lower than pedophile priest cover ups, meet poor Sister Margaret McBride, victim of Bishop Thomas J. Olmsted. What did Sister Margaret do which was so bad the Bishop declared her "automatically excommunicated"?

She choose to allow an abortion to save a woman's life.

Sister Margaret, administrator of a Catholic hospital, had to make a tough decision. If the Nun went "by the Catholic book" she was expected to allow a 27 year old mother of 5, in the 11th week of her pregnancy, to die along with the unborn baby. The woman, who was in "right heart failure", was too ill to move to an operating room, much less another hospital. The doctors advised if the woman continued the pregnancy, her risk of mortality was "100%".

So what did Sister Margaret do? Depends on who you ask. If you ask me, I'd say she made a personally tough decision which allowed a mother to live and care for her other 5 children. If you ask Rev. John Ehrich, medical ethics director for the Diocese of Phoenix he'd tell you, "She consented in the murder of an unborn child. There are some situations where the mother may in fact die along with her child. But — and this is the Catholic perspective — you can't do evil to bring about good. The end does not justify the means."

Really? Then Lord, I thank you for allowing me to be born into a Baptist family who passed along their common sense genes to me.

I actually yelled "Are you SERIOUS!?" at my radio. Pedophile priests, which seem to be a problem in epic proportion worldwide, are merely shuffled about and often sheltered from prosecution. The Catholic church says they can't marry, but evidently they can't be neutered either. Yet a nun who saves the life of another woman is...evil?

So riddle me this: in a religion where birth control is virtually outlawed, why are women, who carry the gift of giving life, treated lower than pedophiles who steal innocence?

Oh, that's right. Bishops are men. They can't give birth. Makes perfect sense to put them in charge of punishing someone who opted to save one life out of two.

So Sister Margaret, bless you for having a heart AND a backbone! I have a feeling God is smiling down on you....and crafting some lightning bolts for the men in the funny hats.


13 comments:

Monkey Man said...

Barbarism! Not the abortion, but the actions of the Catholic church.
Hey, Pope Whatsyername, how 'bout dragging your church out of the 17th century? Let the priest marry. Quit trying to populate your pews by banishing birth control and quit laying on the major guilt trips. Sheesh. Then people might want to follow your business, er, religion.

savannah said...

amen, sister! xoxoxo

mapstew said...

And that is ONE of the reasons religion no longer plays a part in my (personal) life. I was born into a catholic family, though my paternal grandparents were protestant, and I was for some years, a 'Born Again christian'!

Today, I respect all peoples right to believe in a deity, and would hope they respect my right to not believe in such.

And I do understand your total frustration and anger on this matter.

And I do also believe that religious organisations should have nothing to do with hospitals or schools.

xxx

Titus said...

Thank you hope, that tragic story had not reached these shores that I was aware of.

She was surely the one who was acting in God's name.

hope said...

Monkey Man, it's weird but most of the time I merely shake my head at the ridiculousness of life. But this story actually made me angry! No wonder so many people turn away from religion.

Thanks savannah!

Map, thank you for understanding my intent. I respect you for who you are and know you do the same for me. Sharing faith is one thing: shoving it down someone's throat with a smug & sanctimonious scream is another. It's so simple...if we'd all just be kind to each other, the world would greatly improve. Thank you! x

Titus; thanks for understanding my anger. I'm not angry with God...he didn't kick anyone out. But man can sure get on my nerves. :)

Charlie said...

You know, Hope, it's too bad you have to preface half your post with disclaimers before you can say what you have to say.

Unfortunately, I happen to not only live in the state with the "new immigration law", but I also live in Olmstead's diocese. He is a hardliner extraordinaire, a by-the-booker.

But who wrote the book? There is NOTHING in the Bible about abortion, saving the child at the expense of the mother, or birth control. They are, like you say, MAN-made. Well raspberries to that.

Sister Margaret made the right decision hands down. She has nothing to apologize for, nor should she ever feel guilt about her decision.

hope said...

I know Charlie....let's just say it was a "preemptive strike" on my part so I didn't have to later point out what-hope-believes. :)

Wasn't so much self defense as I was too angry, and weary, to come back and prop up the WHY of my feelings. Besides, I'm never going to be P.C. ;)

But I'm glad we're all standing behind the only "human" in this whole story.

HaoG said...

Hi Hope,

Sorry for the randomness. My name is Howard. I'm currently an MBA student at National Taiwan University working on a cross-cultural master thesis on "Change in blogger motivations over the blogspan." If you have time, would you please help me fill out the survey in the following link. Your 10 mins will make a major contribution to my study. Thank you for your kindness. I truly appreciate it! If you have any question, please feel free to contact me at r97741063@ntu.edu.tw

Survey Link

Best Regards,
-Howard

Fay's Too said...

Dang, Girl! You are so right on the mark there!
That ruling makes absolutely NO sense, but as recovering Catholic, I can say that the Church has more than a couple of weird and hurtful rules.

laytonwoman3rd said...

Hi, Hope. I got here through Charlie's blog (I'll bet you're going to hear that a lot). I think the "Are you SERIOUS" cry rang out of any number of moving vehicles when NPR aired that story. I know some quite observant Catholics who have no stomach for this kind of heartless wrongheadedness. Men made the damned rules; men and women can change them. I think the first step might be to stop wearing that medieval regalia...

hope said...

Hi laytonwoman3rd! Thanks...glad to meet you and hope you'll return.

And I agree, isn't it up to other "humans" to disagree with "Men of God" when you're pretty sure God didn't mean what they're preaching?

Mary Witzl said...

I'm with you all the way on this. Saving the life of a mother of four surely ought to take precedence in such a situation. What a hard situation for Sister Margaret.

I can't help but wonder just who the good bishop thought would raise this poor woman's children if she died. Not him, I'm guessing.

Susan at Stony River said...

Okay, so she's excommunicated. But she still did the right thing, and if I were she, I'd at least have an easy conscience, no matter what the Church told me. Brave lady, and I love her for it!