Saturday, April 24, 2010

I shot an arrow....

Okay, so I didn't actually shoot an arrow. But I did shoot photos of archers who participated in last week's archery tournament. My article, and accompanying photos, have been sent to the newspaper. I'm now waiting to see how much editing gets done. Knowing me, a lot. I do love words. Too much so, if you're an Editor.

So as I wait to see how many words fell by the wayside, I thought I'd share a few of my many photos. Every time someone says, "I shot an arrow", in my head I hear, "I shot an arrow in the air, it fell to earth, I know not where." Of course, these archers knew EXACTLY where they wanted to place that arrow. Some were more successful than others. See if you can spot which guy's Native American heritage is expressed in a Dad who's Cherokee and Mom who's Mohawk.

So with a nod to Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, I offer you his poem...and my illustrations. Click on them if you want a little more detail.


I shot an arrow into the air,


It fell to earth, I knew not where;

For, so swiftly it flew, the sight

Could not follow it in its flight.



I breathed a song into the air,

It fell to earth, I knew not where;


For who has sight so keen and strong,

That it can follow the flight of song?

Long, long afterward, in an oak

I found the arrow, still unbroke;

And the song, from beginning to end,

I found again in the heart of a friend.

6 comments:

Thom said...

I love this. You are so creative with this and the photos are just wonderful. Well done my friend :) Have a great weekend :)

Larry said...

I like that poem thought it was sweet sounding also loved the pictures the small boy is he your son a cute boy at that. I thought I'd drop by and say thanks to you for dropping by and leaving a comment . I look forward to hearing from you every week day.Thanks hope I appreciate you.Larry.


Old Time Cartoons
I don't remembver if I've sent this to you before or not if I have could you please tell me so I won't do it again


Thanks larry

Dan said...

Hi Hope! Yes, I am alive!

Love the photos, though I was a little worried that the one of the little kid looked like he had been shot in the arse.

Your poetry is so good by the way.

More please?

hope said...

Thanks Thom. Hubby pointed out that too many were "back" shots, but I reminded him that I wasn't interested in getting too close to people I don't know...while they're armed. :)

Larry: nope, although the boy is cute, he's not ours. Much as I love kids, we weren't able to have any. But I loved the way he kept sticking those arrows in his pocket as his Mom glared at him. :) At 8 years old, he was the youngest competitor. I'll check out your link as soon as we get back from the grocery store...boring chores. :)

Ah Dan, I missed your ability to make me smile. As for the kid, you should've seen the dagger looks his Mom was shooting him for jamming those arrows in his pocket. :) And I can't take credit for the poem...in fact I did give credit where it's due: Longfellow wrote it. It's okay, you're working now....you're allowed to get tired. Just glad you're back!

Titus said...

Oh, just the perfect post. The words and pictures are a fabulous marriage!

I think the rather attractive young man with the ponytail may be the Native American. Or was this a trick question to do with football or baseball teams?

hope said...

Go Titus! Seems that as you're the first female commenter, you're the only one who remembered that question. :)

Yep, that's him and he was surprised at the photo. Told him the best ones are when you aren't looking. ;) He painted the mural outside Hubby's shop. I'll have to post pics of that later.