Wednesday, December 2, 2009

What's on Your Desktop?

Yesterday Susan took a nap for me, so today I'm returning the favor and pretending I'm in Ireland as the rain pours and smacks against my window. Such weather does make it hard to get into the holiday spirit, even if you try viewing rain as liquid sunshine or pre-melted snow. I've decorated my workplace, which is a second home for many of the senior citizens. This weekend I'll decorate my home.

All this decorating made me wonder: do people "decorate" their computers? Are desktop photos switched to scenes of snow or decorated trees? Hanukkah menorahs or Bah Humbug! labels? For those who are snowbound or tired of irritating weather, are there scenes of Hawaii instead of HoHoHo?

Here's what's on my Desktop.
This is Hubby at about 6 months. The second born, he would be the first and only son. I see the mischievous twinkle in his eye was present from day one. And I swear every time I see this photo, I hear him saying:

"I'm telling ya...when I grow up, I'm going to get a Bow & some Arrows. Then I'm going to go hunt deer and alligators. I'll probably get so good at it, I'll even open an archery shop. Heck, I'm even gonna get me a couple of dogs, name them Smokey & Boo. Then I'll become famous. A Legend even. And I'll have lots of stories so I can keep using this hand motion."

Yep, that's the cover for this year's shop calendar. It's a secret. Don't tell.

12 comments:

steven said...

hello hope - i like to post a current photograph that i'm really proud of or which tells the story of my heart at that particular time. i love the baby picture though. mmmmmm. steven

Susan at Stony River said...

LOL I can just see it, snapped right at "A legend even---" It's brilliant! A perfect calendar cover, I love it.

Thom said...

ACK. Susanitus is spreading? LOL. My desktop stays a solid black all year for years. I despise anything else on it. :)

mapstew said...

Oh to just pretend the rain was smacking off me windows! (I didn't even bother leaving the house today! The family DID get a fantastic dinner when they returned from work/school though. And ALL the towels in the house are washed, dried, folded and stacked in order of size and fluffiness!)
Ain't I the essence of domesticity?
(Strangely, I could've sworn they were mostly white when they went in, but all were pink when the cycle ended?)

A picture of piano keys has the space which is my screen.

Matthew said...

Right now my desktop's an ocean at sunset. I know - original stuff....

hope said...

steven, I spent my spring vacation scanning his families old photos. They were military and Hubby was born on a base in Japan, then lived in Okinawa for years. It was fun seeing who they grew up to be. :) And like you, my prouder moments of photography often grace my desktop.

Thanks Susan. Although the first time Hubby saw it, he grimaced and said, "I look like George Bush Sr. giving his '1,000 points of light' speech". :)

Thom, since my middle name is Susan, I guess we're just linked for life. ;) Well of course your desktop is "neutral" when you can see paradise outside your door!

Map: talented and does housework! I can hear females sighing all over the world. ;) {Luckily for me, hubby does more than his fair share of cooking AND the vacuuming since my asthma diagnosis}. Ah, I love a piano!

No Matthew, that's a mental vacation. And something which has graced my screen from time to time as well.

Peggy said...

Your hubby's picture is perfect for the shop calender. I have one of my husband at about that age. Maybe I'll enlarge it and frame it for Christmas.
It's cold here and cloudy. I think we might get some snow...brrrrrrrrrrr! I'm still under the blanket and am thinking about staying here!
My desktop has a picture of a lake with a big long pier and it's not cold there on my pier!
In fact I just might have a Picnic there today, wanna come?

Dan said...

My desktop is of London.

Why?

Because London rules.

And who would have thought that cute little baby would grow up to be Rambo?

Titus said...

Ah, rain is just pre-melted snow. I shall hold that one to my heart.

Yep, can certainly see that cherub thinking exactly that! I'll be even more interested to hear what he thinks when he sees himself on the calendar.

My desktop photo is occasionally photographs of London, most often those of the family. Currently the two young ones having summitted Tynron Doon (the big hill that overlooks the village). John is doing a very good "old-as-the-hills-shepherd" pose, Luke sitting down. Both rather red in the face and the sheep look like cotton-wool balls miles below...

hope said...

Peggy, I'll bring the turkey sandwiches. ;)

Dan, at least he speaks in full sentences, with words I understand. ;)

Titus, my adding the word "legend" is to tease him. The newspaper, which has done stories on him before, did one of those "fluff" pieces on Smokey. Yep, the dog. Smokey is famous amongst hunters who can't find their stuff. The headline was "Legend of Silver"... and Hubby about had a cow! Number one that's just a crossroads and not where we live. And to be called Legend made him groan because he was afraid his customers would give him a hard time. Evidently they either don't read or think he deserves the title. Considering the stories he tells....

I can just see those two cuties atop that hill! :)

enchantedoak said...

Hiya, Hope,
Just catching up on a lovely Saturday evening here in California.
I adore your sense of humor. I HOPE your hubby does too....

Grace said...

Someone sent me a beautiful picture of a solitary monk sitting on a hillside dwarfed by an amazing full blue moon. I love that pic!