Thursday, December 31, 2009

Looking into the Future

No, I didn't get a crystal ball for Christmas. Besides, it probably would've needed batteries, been made in China and only spoken Mandarin.

No, like most humans I'm considering the advancing year 2010. Already experts are arguing about what to call it. "Twenty ten" seems simple enough, unless one is writing a history lesson. Life is complicated enough without arguing over syllables.

It's also too complicated for New Year's resolutions. I don't do those. It seems like setting myself up somehow, all those grandiose promises to go farther, higher, faster. Given the current political climate, I'm pretty sure they'd manage to tax all that. Individually. No, I tend to face the new year with a smile and, "Okay, maybe THIS will be the best year ever."

And that's how I'm going into the future. Eyes open, optimism still in tact. I won't be making a Top 10 review list. Actually, if I see one more sentence containing, "hiking, Appalachian Trail, Argentina, Let me apologize or You lie!", I'm canceling my newspaper subscription. Okay, I've already considered that anyhow. For two months our local paper has sported a weekly column written by one of their new hires, which doesn't mean young and wet behind the ears. I'm guessing her experience might be more apparent to someone like say...our Governor. No, that wasn't catty. It's my understanding that's the general consensus of the newsroom. How else do you explain why an Op Ed piece is featured on the front page, week after week, written by a divorced, former lawyer who'd had a fling with Theology school but must've discovered her condescending attitude, posing as biting wit towards the locals, wasn't God-like?

Sorry, I digress.

This is exactly why I'm looking ahead. Reviewing the year has it's merits, but I don't want it to turn into an exercise where I re-visit all my mistakes, short comings and an incomplete To Do list. I don't need me to nag me.

No, I'm looking 2010 in the eye and thinking, "YOU are the future. I'd like to order a happy future, complete with a new line of employment which will allow me to cheerfully arrive home, rather than crawl through the front door like an exhausted survivor. Hubby deserves more than that. And so do I.

10..9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1...Ready or not 2010, here I come!

12 comments:

Rachel Fox said...

All the best for 2010, Hope.
x

steven said...

hope i wish you a joyous and rewarding new year. steven

Ken Armstrong said...

Happy New Year Hope.

Both meanings apply. :)

Janie B said...

Good luck with the new employment thing. Everyone deserves to work at something they enjoy. Have a great 2010!

Susan at Stony River said...

Happy New Year! I hope it's one of your best yet.

If I reviewed 2009, I'd puke. Good riddance! LOL

hope said...

Rachel, sending the same thoughts to you and yours.

steven, my biggest hope is to find something I'm really good at AND be paid for it. ;) I'm headed toward year 7 of disgust with an employer I've been with for 22.5 years. I didn't pick "hope" without a reason. :)

Thank you Ken! I'd been worried the world had swallowed you up! How's the movie coming along? Best to you and yours in 2010!

Janie B., I concur. Would you like to be my Boss for a while? :) Happy New Year!

Susan...Amen Sister! 2010 even SOUNDS better. Hugs to you and yours. :)

Thom said...

I so agree with you. No need to look back. No need to make resolutions. We just do. I hope that 2010 is a good one for you and your family. :) Hau’oli Makahiki Hou

Dulce said...

May the New Year make all your wished come true!

Happy 2010!***

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I never make resolutions either, Happy New Year Hope, all the best for you and your family.

Oh, I posted something the other day for you before my New Years Eve post. I hope you saw it, I think Sean would find it amusing.

Enchanted Oak said...

Hope,
May 2010 bring you that line of employment that restores your soul. May it bring positive things your way. May it bring the cancelation of your newspaper subscription, complete with description why so the newsroom can report it to the head honcho.

Peggy said...

Hope;

I think 2010 will be all that and more. Why not shoot for the moon, I always do and I'm not particularly upset when it doesn't quite make it!! If I can laugh and love my family and not go broke and still have a roof over my head, then I'm pretty happy!
Mostly I feel very blessed.
Heck, I have you in my bloggy like.
That's pretty cool to me!
Happy New Year friend!
See you bext year!

hope said...

Thom, I've always been too serious for my own good. I'd like to add more fun and less work stress this year. Happy 2010 to you and yours!

Dulce, I hope your year is as sweet as you.

Happy, happy to you too Bill. No, in all the holiday excitement I missed it and will go back to read. :)

enchantedoak, I like the way you think. ;) And some are looking at the Managing Editor a little funny, wondering if he's sweet on that chick.

Peggy, you're right! As long as we can laugh and have someone to love us, it'll all work out in the end. Glad to have found you in 2009 but wish even better for you in 2010!