Friday, December 4, 2009

Cheers! Um quick... I need a toast or three

Once a year my senior citizens get together with the British Wives Club, who utilize our building for their monthly meetings. For those of you who haven't been here before, our "British Wives" are English ladies who married American servicemen and range in age from 26-86.

Each year the British Wives hold a Christmas Tea for us. [Okay, so it's held at night but tea and English goodies are served].

We usually sing carols and an occasional pub song. But, wanting to do something new this year, the ladies have asked me to help them find Toasts from Ireland, Scotland and Wales. The only request, besides the obvious "mixed company grandparent" rule, is that toasts be funny and in the spirit of the Christmas season.

So, my lovely fellow bloggers, got any you can share? Thanks.

Excuse me as I go perform their other request: to print the words for Auld Lang Syne...their tribute to Scotland and Burns. I'm guessing by the end of the week, they'll have added more Ireland and Wales to my list.

:)

9 comments:

shug said...

The Selkirk Grace, of course

Some hae meat and canna eat,
and some wad eat that want it,
but we hae meat and we can eat,
and sae the Lord be thankit.

or

Tir nam beann, nan gleann, nan gaisgeach! [To the land of the bens, the glens and the heroes!]

or

To the King owre the water!

Susan at Stony River said...

Irish toasts (that make sense?) hmmm...

"My friends are the best friends
Loyal, willing and able.
Now let’s get to drinking!
All glasses off the table!"

"May peace and plenty be the first to lift the latch on your door, and happiness be guided to your home by the candle of Christmas."

I hope it's a wonderful tea together!

hope said...

Shug, perfect! And I believe I'll insist the Scottish lady amongst their group be the one to deliver it so I can hear it spoken properly. :)

Susan, I shouldn't type early in the day. :) I did a blog along time ago about Irish toasts but when I looked it over...well, let's just say the funny I used wouldn't fit the occasion.

enchantedoak said...

Here's a toast to you for the delicious 55 of yesterday! (I'm trying to catch up on everybody while my out-of-town company snores in the living room)

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Sorry Hope, I cannot think of any Scots toasts. Perhaps a Google Search might help.

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Here's to the heath, the hill and the heather, the bonnet, the plaid, the kilt and the feather!

May the pleasures of the evening bear the reflections of the morning!

When we're gaun up a hill o fortune, may we ne'er meet a frien' comin' down!


found them here http://www.squidoo.com/scottish-toasts

hope said...

Thanks enchantedoak! We had two back-to-back events at work Friday night and Saturday morning and I'm STILL playing catch up.

Thanks Bill! I know I can google stuff, I was just wondering what this group had to offer. :)

Seems I'll have to go find the Welsh toasts meself. ;)

mapstew said...

May you be in heaven half an hour before the divil knows you're dead!

xxx

hope said...

Ah Map, I'd forgotten that one!

I did a post about all this back here:
http://hope-theroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com/2007/07/inheriting-irish-turn-of-phrase.html

Oddly enough, the birthday toast concerning the coffin was my favorite. Unless you count Mary Malone...which certainly isn't celebratory. ;)