Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thankful for the usual stuff...and then some

It's tradition on so many blogs to list what one is thankful for and luckily for you it's simple.

Once you get past the explanation, of course.

When I was 13, I watched a movie called "Brian's Song". Yes it was a tear jerker and the theme song can still make a lump rise in my throat. But it was before television "Disease of the Week" movies became popular. This one was about two Chicago Bears football players who were friends: one black, one white. No big deal today, but back in their day it was. The white guy dies of cancer with his friend, Gale Sayers at his bedside. After football, Sayers went on to become a motivational speaker and author. When I was 14, I read his book "I am Third". It wasn't long before you discover the meaning behind the title. Sayers believed, "God is first. My friends/family are second and I am third." It was his way of putting life in prospective and never allowing fame to get in the way.

That Christmas I requested a medallion stamped with, "I am third". I envisioned a girl-like dog tag. Mom had it engraved on a more girlie golden disk. I wore it for a couple of years. And although it now resides in my jewelry box, the sentiment stayed with me. I still try to follow the original Golden Rule of doing unto others, rather than the more modern version of "sticking it to people before they can stick it to you." And although "Them that has the gold, makes the rules" does enter my brain while looking at politicians, I still try to take the high road.

It's not always easy.

The rest is easier. Sure, friends and family can drive you insane but for the most part, they're there for you when the going gets tough. It's Thanksgiving. Let's skip the exception to the rule clause. So as I spend the day with family on Thanksgiving and celebrate my Mom turning 29 [again] and my nephew's pride at hitting the grand age of 10, I'll be thankful. Being third in the room isn't so bad if you're surrounded by people who care.

Which brings me to you.

I suppose the only "fair" way to do this is to go alphabetical by blog. At least that's how blogger did it for my daily reads. So without further ado, here's why I'm THANKFUL for YOU.

{And I'll apologize in advance for not linking all of these...the work computer eats stuff. Yes, I'm suppose to be working! But it's my lunch hour.}

AbodeOneThree: home of Matthew the transplanted Brit who has found love and life in the Land of Oz. I'm grateful for all the lessons he's learned the hard way...which he eloquently shares with us.

Dark Mutterings from Drumsleet: Ah, professor. "Blogger Zero" as it were. Most of you know Shug, a.k.a. Scottish poet Hugh McMillan, is the reason I found this playground of Blog World. I thank him for his patience, kindness and sense of humor in sending me to the dictionary until I learn how to think in "Scots".

Ken Armstrong Writing Stuff: The illustrious Playwright of Ireland, whom I think of as the guy who likes movies even more than I do, {if that's possible}. His writing always moves me. My heart and brain thank him, whilst giving him a standing ovation.

Mapstew: The Irishman I yearn to hear sing. There are times I think he may be a long lost cousin because we have so much in common when it comes to matters of the heart. Is there an O'Blush clan in your area? xxx

More about the song-Rambling with Rachel: Rachel's was the first blog I read where rambling was viewed as a good thing, rather than an editor scolding me to "Keep it to 500 words!" I thank her for proving that poetry is not for the overly educated in ivory towers but for those of us who live and breathe.

Musings of Meggie: I admit it, Peggy makes me grin when life isn't fair. I don't know how she knows what kind of mood I'm in, but I'm thankful that she always manages to share something worthwhile and uplifting.

Notes from a Broken down Barman: I can see him grinning now, wondering which way I'll go with this. Life is a series of experiences, both good and bad. You can't appreciate the good if the road hasn't had a bump or two in it. I'm grateful that he allows me to see that which is foreign to me, yet still accepts me for who I am.

Poetikat's Blasts from the Past: In Kat I've found another soul who remembers being a little girl, watching silly t.v., trying to believe Barbie isn't the prettiest girl in the room and realizing in spite of adolescence, we grew up just fine. Thank you for being the humorous side of growing up.

Radgery: I'm thankful that Radge has taught me how to be succinct in commenting, even if I don't always stick to it. And for showing his sentimental side from time to time, which makes me want to give him a hug. Please tell MooDog I'd be thankful if he ever posted again. He's missed.

Ramblings of the Bearded One: I'm thankful that Kim mixes in some of the funniest photos I've ever seen amidst his more serious ones. Thank you for sharing the ups and downs, and always leaving us with a picture to rival a 1000 words.

Stony River: I really do believe Susan and I were separated at birth, even though there's an 8 year gap in our ages. [No Thom, I'm the....more mature, age wise]. Well, if we stick to our alternate universe theory, it works. Susan's is the first blog I read, the place I go for comfort after horrible days because I know she'll understand. I'm thankful that, despite a full plate herself, I'm still allowed to be ME on bad days...and my sense of humor is tolerated on good ones. Besides, she's made me a better writer, for which I can never thank her enough. AND she let me adopt her son as a nephew because I always wanted to have a guy in my life with his name. How cool is that?

The Golden Fish: Stephen's blog is my moment of Zen. I have never been to a blog where I feel peaceful just...reading. And he adds the most lovely photos, words and paintings. Thanks for offering that sense of calm which engulfs me just clicking on your link.

Titus the dog: First of all, Titus is no dog. She's a lovely poet named Joanne who thinks my knowledge of American trivia is actually useful. I thank her for challenging my brain, for allowing me to speak of God without wincing and for lending me "moon-kin" in Scotland. I've always had a soft spot for red heads.

Vacant Mind: Dan's brain is anything but vacant. It's filled with the most wonderful manner of stuff he shares with us. Useful information on how to survive zombies & alien attacks, where to find ninjas to clean up messes say..at work and has shown me I'm not the only one who grocery shops and wishes people would just move out of the way and let me finish my mission. Most of all, thank you Dan for making me laugh out loud, so heartily for so long, that hubby actually comes in the room to find out what all the fuss is about. Now stop checking my comma placement and just ENJOY yourself for a moment. Or three or four. Whatever the OCD is telling you. ;)

Welcome to the Old Fart's Blog: I thank Bill for allowing me to call him "Bill" and not old fart. I'm older than he is and I don't feel like an old fart! I enjoy his photo contests and the fact that, no matter how difficult life got for him recently, he still believed good would win out, especially with God as his back up. Although the Canadians have already had Thanksgiving, I'm still wishing him a good one!

Don't feel bad if you didn't get a mention here. Thanks to "Friday 55s" and "Microfiction Mondays", my reading list is expanding to the point of explosion. Besides, I didn't think you'd want to read until NEXT Thanksgiving. If I've visited you and left a comment, you know I found you interesting and I thank you for enriching my life. I'll be back. No, that's not a threat, it's a warning.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a birthday cake to go bake. Here's wishing that Nov. 26th is a day you can be thankful for....just because.

21 comments:

Rachel Fox said...

It's nice in your gang. Good company.
x

the broken down barman said...

"Do not contemplate your own good qualities, but contemplate the good qualities of others, and respect everyone as a servant would." Geshe Kelsang Gyatso

the broken down barman said...

oh and cheers for the mention

enchantedoak said...

Thankfulness is always a happy topic for me. I'm thankful I have a daughter coming over tomorrow to help with the cooking. I'm thankful that I'm about to bake a pumpkin pie, my most favorite pie on earth. I'm grateful for the world of blogging. Have a great thanksgiving!

steven said...

hi hope - thankyou for the generous words! boy oh boy i'm in really good company with the people you described here. my mum and dad would be very proud and i'll let my two kids here know. i love sharing my blog because it goes to such amazing, lovely, real people as yourself hope. it exists in that connection. sweet evening to you. steven

Susan at Stony River said...

Wow, what a great crowd! Thanks for having me in it Hope; I don't know what I'd do without you sometimes.

May your Thanksgiving be a wonderful day and your cake turn out the best ever!
MWAH!
xox

mapstew said...

I thank you, and am thankful for knowing you.

xxx

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Wow, what great company to be part of. You have a great Thanksgiving Hope, I am thankful that we are friends here on the blogs. You made me Blush.

Happy Birthday to your Mum.

hope said...

Rachel, you were the 2nd blog I bookmarked upon entering this world. [Yes His Grace was the first]. I like seeing the way your mind works, while being taken along on journeys I never had.

Barman, you're most welcome!

enchantedoak, I wish the same for you! Hubby is still waiting for that pumpkin pie as the birthday cake came first. But the good news is that he'll have it all to himself as no one else eats it. :)

steven, thank you for making me smile when I don't think I can. I swear my blood pressure actually levels out just visiting you. ;)

Susan, you're the best. Give your wee ones a Thanksgiving hug for me. And Himself, if he's been behaving. ;)

Mapstew, you are proof that good people are where you find them.

Bill, you can blush? Perhaps Map and I have more folks to add to the O'Blush clan. ;)

Kim Ayres said...

Thanks for the thanks :) Now, dig out a photo to enter my draw - it'll give you another thing to blog about :)

Dan. said...

A lovely post from a lovely lady. Happy Thanksgiving to you my friendly. I hope your day is filled with turkey, merriment and afternoon naps.

And thanks for including me in your little group. Some A-list names there. I am like a Z-list ex reality TV star, but I'm just happy to be here.

Enjoy the holidays Hope!

Titus said...

Happy Thanksgiving.
Very good company to be in indeed, feel a bit privileged actually.
And trivia, smivia, these are things I need to know!

Finally, how come shug is kind and patient with you? Ah, ... because you're nicer than me.

Small ones send their love and thanks (the parcel! It came!). As do I.

hope said...

Kim, I'm looking as we speak. I'm thinking the Thanksgiving shot Mom took yesterday will be coming my way soon. :)

Dan, you're much more important than a reality star. :) And you may only use a "Z" with your name if it stands for zombie. I'm glad I found your blog; it makes me laugh when I need it most.

Titus, I was about to put out an APB on the Postal Pony, but then thought perhaps it was illness that was keeping him from your front door. ;) I hope you find something in there to your liking.

Peggy said...

Hope;

Awe, how sweet you are! I am so thankful for you! You have no idea how much you add to my days.
Enjoy your turkey. Even when we go to our relative's house for Thanksgiving, I still cook a turkey. Gotta have a turkey sandwich !

hope said...

Peggy I will think of you today when I cook that turkey. :)

Granny Sue said...

ROFL! Never,never would I have seen the photo in that way! perfect!

Radge said...

Hope, sorry I'm so late with this one but thanks. In my mildly dishevelled state I want to get back to the sort of writing you refer to, as opposed to my recent throwaway nonsense...

Whoops, too confessional!

hope said...

Confession is good for the soul, right? :)

Just don't go into hiding like McDanger did...it gets too quiet. ;0

Ken Armstrong said...

Thanks Hope. That means a lot to me.

Since Technorati stopped doing it for me, I've failed to keep track of when kind people give me a compliment. I just found another site that does it (just this minute) and found this. Sorry to be so late and so intermittent of late. :)

I'd say we like movies pretty much equally, wouldn't you? :)

hope said...

Probably, although I think you're better at it. :)

Happy New Year to you and yours!

江美琪Maggie said...

cool!very creative!AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,成人圖片區,性愛自拍,美女寫真,自拍