Monday, October 19, 2009

I Am...Honored

Mondays have recently become my least favorite day. Because it's time to go back to work. A sense of dread begins to kick in at say 8:00 p.m. on Sunday evening. No matter how I fight it, it's like having someone place a bag of disgust on your back, turning you into a hunchbacked drone. I work where they rearrange your schedule at the drop of a hat, usually with less than 24 hour notice, then complain when those who visit your Center don't seem enthused to be there.

Well gee, that's because the folks are never sure when they're ALLOWED to be there.

Needless to say, it was another one of those Mondays, where I was asked to cancel an event which will anger my folks and make it necessary to rearrange the speaker I had coming prior to lunch. I'll stop complaining now since I just finished reading Dan's blog and I'm trying to be grateful to be employed.

I am, however, grateful for the good folks in Blog World. I'll now proudly display the award I received from Bill [a.k.a. the Old Fart]. It's not just because I did well on a quiz he hosted. No, it's because of the title. See for yourself.
I can't remember the last time anyone praised me for being honest.
And for that, I'm truly grateful.
Thanks Bill!
You just made my Monday.

12 comments:

Janie B said...

Being known for honesty is high praise, indeed. Good for you!

mapstew said...

hope, firstly, congrats on the award! Honesty is the only way to go I think!

Second, I spent most of my adult life in a job I dreaded going to every day! But I did it, still doing my hobby, music, for peanuts. And then it clicked! D'oh!

Now I was lucky, still am, that I can make a living from it, and some months are leaner than others, but we get there. And we are happy. And I just LOVE going to 'work'!

We will never be millionaires (note; must buy lottery ticket sometime!), but even the Eldest is now getting piano gigs in a nearby hotel, which will help her through college, which she starts next autumn. And she loves it.

I know it's easy to say, but we should love what we do, and do what we love.

I wish that to you.

xxx

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

You are most Welcome Hope. Glad that this made your Monday better.

Titus said...

Love to you for all the shit you're getting at work at the moment (sorry for swearing), but these things, too, shall pass.
What's inside is what hangs around, and what people remember.
You do a good job with the inside, congratulations on the award. Honestly!

Susan at Stony River said...

Three cheers for you and Bill! I'm glad you had something pick you up on a Monday.

I'm with Mapstew on this of course, having also left a career (though I loved it) to stay home and make beans instead. I know I couldn't do what you're doing. Good luck making it work, and finding something else, and staying sane through it all!

Dan. said...

Congrats on the old award there Hope. Nice to see you are a "Tell it as it is" kinda girl.

Remind me never to ask you if these socks make my eyes look pretty; you will probably dissect me so much I will leave the room crying......

Matthew said...

Honesty is a good trait. Nice to be singled out for it - well done!

hope said...

Thanks Janie B. Sometimes I feel like a dinosaur for even sticking to my principles or having morals.

Map, just the fact you let me whine and STILL encouraged me is what I need right now. :) Today was...well, shite Part 2. The sad thing is most people tell me, "You're too smart for that job!" and yet in this economy, I'm either too "smart" as in overqualified or there aren't any jobs. Hopefully I'll figure out what to be when I grow up fairly soon. In the meantime, it's good to have friends like you. xx

Bill, my ego says you showed up just in time. ;)

Titus, you just made my grin enlarge. Thank you for that! [And you'll see I resorted to that word myself, above}.

Susan, you and Map and the rest of these good folks keep talking to me like I am a sane person...and I'll be fine. I get tired of talking to myself. ;)

Dan, I'm a southern gal; I'm not allowed to hurt your feelings. :) Besides, you always compliment me on my hair and how nice I look. Why wouldn't I do the same for you? ;)

Thanks Matthew! Sometimes I feel like doing the right thing just makes people point at me and laugh. And yet, I keep doing it. :)

Peggy said...

Congratulations Hope,...I think you are just wonderful and so deserve this honor.
Sounds like it really warmed your heart! Aren't our fellow bloggers great. They pick us up when we're down!

hope said...

Peggy, you're right! It's like we managed to find the perfect safety net. :)

Dr.John said...

Congratulations. Honesty is a wonderful thing.

hope said...

Thanks Dr. John....it's when someone else recognizes it in you that counts. :)