Thursday, October 29, 2009

Flash Fiction Time

You know the rules. Write a 55 word story and tell the G-Man all about it. It's fun. It's addictive. Hey, at least it's not fattening. Hey, that leaves room for some Halloween candy.




As the camera appeared, the subject attempted to slink away. Not because he wasn’t photogenic. In fact, he was handsome and quite noble. But he truly hated the whole process.

“Come on,” she coaxed gently. “I can’t help it the calendar became so popular. Besides, it’s only once a year.”

Disgusted, he refused to smile.


Meet "Mr. October".
Needless to say Smokey isn't fond of "calendar season".


It all started out as a joke for Christmas several years ago. Hubby's Archery Shop would not have the usual girlie calendar found in other men's shops. No, I Super Wife would create one just for the out of doors kinda guy. Every month would feature Smokey or Hubby and Smokey with whatever they had found in the field. I thought it was a one time thing.

In November of the following year hubby said, "I can't wait to see this year's calendar!"

Sigh.

So a tradition was born. In fact Hubby keeps all the calendars and new customers often ask to "review" them while they wait. I tried to help Smokey one year by featuring his laid back son Bou as "Mr. October." See for yourself.


He was sleeping when I put the horns on. He slept through the photo process. He was still sleeping when I took them off. I called his name to make sure he was alive. He wagged his tail enthusiastically, but never opened his eyes. Bou loves his naps! [Note: I'm sure Hubby would like me to point out that after this photo was taken, he personally refinished our hardwood floors, so they no longer look like this].

So rather than torture Smokey every year, I just reuse the October shot. I still add the occasional new ones and now I have Bou for a model as well. But I don't want to push my luck. After all, the look Smokey gave me when we finished that shot scared the devil out of me. :)





17 comments:

Matthew said...

Smokey's a cutie!

Alice Audrey said...

Aww, poor put-upon puppy. (Yeah, I see the gray muzzle. Your point?)

Chef Kar said...

Sweet 55 Hope ~ glad you've decided to keep Smokey as Mr. October ~ picture is cute as the devil :-)

Have a Bou-tiful weekend (puppy is cute too).

You'll find my Flash 55 ~ Skipping Stones posted.

Brian Miller said...

too cute! i know the feeling of slinking away. pictures are not my friend. big smiles. great 55!

mine is up!

Felicitas said...

Mr. October is VERY handsome! Thanks for sharing him with us in your wonderful 55!

Susan at Stony River said...

Aw, the poor boys, first the photos and then 'outed' in a 55! LOL Good luck with this year's calendar. Happy Halloween!

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Liked your story and your dogs are quite handsome.

Happy Halloween Hope

Dulce said...

Ha ha ha Smokey...lovely puppy. great 55 tribute ;)

Titus said...

Oh, so good.
Do the alligators ever appear? Can I see one with husband in (does he wear month-appropriate headgear too?)? How may more questions can I ask?

Prayer Girl said...

Very cute.
Dogs are absolutely best-dressed in Halloween costumes.

Loved this 55.

PG

Lulda Casadaga said...

Fun 55...Smokey is distinguished with his grey muzzle. :D Reminds me of my late Chockie. Now I have my Frisco (Black Lab) and my BeBe (Boston Terrier). I too do not have any human kids!!

p.s. Thanks for stopping by and if you need any extra lab shots for your calendar just give me a holla!

G-Man said...

And I thought Reggie Jackson was Mr. October.
What a person learns reading Blogs!
Excellent 55 Hope...
You Rock From Myrtle Beach to Columbia!
Have a Fun-Filled Week-End...G

Peggy said...

Love Mr October, so handsome !
Gracie(cat) has a costume too but she won't come put from under the bed so that I can put it on this year!Maybe I can get WinstonNew cat) to try it on.
You're so good at the flash Fiction.
I always enjoy reading it!
Have a great weekend.

hope said...

Thanks Matthew. He believes we are on Earth to take him for car rides and provide food. :)

Alice A.: Smokey is 11 now, but he started turning grey at a year old. He'll be "White Chocolate" if he keeps this up.

Chef Kar, those 2 are characters alright. Will be checking out the 55s this afternoon, right after the dreaded laundry duty is done.

Brian, I too prefer BEHIND the camera. I'll check your 55 out today.

Felicitas, you're most welcome. Thanks for dropping in. Do come back.

Susan, poor Smokey is already wearing head gear he hates: he injured one of his ear flaps and had to have a tube put in it to drain. This happened several years ago and Smokey pulled off the bandage in 2 days. This time the Vet wrapped his ear, then wrapped the bandage around his head twice! He looks like Spanky in a bad episode of "The Little Rascals". :) And he's playing it for all the sympathy points he can get.

Bill and Dulce...thank you. I'll share your comments with the dogs, who will then demand more dog biscuits. :)

Titus, as I am the Queen of Questions, feel free to ask. ;) Last year's calendar featured that photo of Hubby with Gator. On the side I added Smokey "talking" to Bou with something like, "I'm worried about Dad. Now he's hunting water lizards".

Prayer Girl: thanks. Calendar season is the only time I ask them to pose in anything other than their birthday suit. :)

Lulda: Labs are the best! Loyal, lovable and very cuddly when they get the notion.

G-Man: Thanks! It's always nice to get praise from the "teacher" who started me on this path. Good weekend to you as well!

Peggy, I can't imagine getting a cat to do anything...much less don a costume. :) Good luck..and hope you're feeling better! {And your Mom too}

Jimmy Bastard said...

There is a certain comfort in watching a dog pander to no one other than the person who refills his bowl. Nice post.

Akelamalu said...

LOL that's a great photo!

rosy said...

Thanks for the helpful information. Hope to hear more from you.
add your website in