Wednesday, August 26, 2009

What's on your Shelf?

Susan has shared an interesting meme. I decided to play because she's always nice to me and besides, I wanted to see what other people have on their bookshelves. No, it's curiosity, not being nosy.

This one is simple. Collect the book that you have most handy, turn to page 161, find the 5th complete sentence, and cite the sentence on your blog. Next (of course) is to pass it on to 5 others.

I took this one literally and picked the first book on my Shelfari shelf below, "In the Hot Zone." The place is Grozny, Chechnya, Russian Federation in 2006. The man is explaining how it feels to lose your home during a bombing, only to end up in an apartment of friends who are fleeing the city.

"I even had to learn a new vocabulary for a life comprised of doing things to survive."

Sadly, there are too many places in the world today where that rings true.

So now, to share with five. As always, I pass this on in fun and if you don't care to partake, that's okay too.

The first one is easy....because he expressed interest in this little experience. So off you go Old Fart, whom I have an easier time referring to as Bill.

Next up, the poets: Shug and Titus. I'm interested in seeing what they have lying around their homes in the way of literature.

One of the new blogs I've been reading belongs to Steven. It's such a peaceful place to visit that I can't wait to see what his bookshelves hold.

And because she's been making me laugh {I can't even think of pretzels now without giggling!} here's to Peggy.

Yes Susan, I too fear that McDanger has passed on....even if Radge claims to have seen him recently. I'm sure the cows are dying of starvation at this point.

So, what's on that page?


12 comments:

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Hey Hope, Mine is already done, I snaggled it from Thom, Quilly, Melli and Susan yesterday and made my post.

Liked yours, it is really sad that things like this are still happening.

Good Quote

Bill

Poetikat said...

I did this one a while back - I think I happened to have Brideshead Revisited lying around at the time. (Don't get Rachel started, I know.)

It IS fun to see what everyone's reading. I use Goodreads, rather than Shelfari.

Kat

steven said...

hi hope - so i grabbed the book i'm reading, it's closest to me - and it ends on page 126. is there a little bending of the rules allowed? steven

hope said...

Bill, I knew you'd beat me to it. :) My computer seemed to be communicating with another planet.

Kat...yep, I like how some of these things float around a while. So, what were you reading at the time?

Steven, I say go for it! [Least I could do for inadvertantly insinuating that you sounded like a 75 year old English woman!]. :)

For the record, I'm a year younger than you....and yet, I can't use the term "middle aged" with a straight face. ;)

Titus said...

hi hope, five books in equal reaching distance right now (1.40 am British Time, husband on lates so home 2 am-ish and I wait up), they are:
Watchmen, by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons (cartoon, or graphic novel, you choose!)
Planet Narnia - The seven heavens in the imagination of C.S. Lewis, by Michael Ward
Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions, by Kate Lorig and others
London in the 19th Century, by Jerry White
and
Then We Came to the End, by Joshua Ferris.
So I'll pick the Ferris as it's the novel and the funniest, and blog the magic sentence once enough people have commiserated with me about my poem-plaque!

steven said...

hi again hope - here's a piece: http://leakstev.blogspot.com/2009/08/sandman.html
have a lovely evening. steven

Susan at Stony River said...

There's a chilling line---sounds to me like getting a job LOL.

(Wish the eldest well, Monday is her FIRST ever paid working day. I'm torn between "finally" and "wow")

I do wish I had more time for reading. Well, the eldest is on her own now and the youngest will be going to preschool this year so maybe? Maybe? I hope so.

Kim Ayres said...

In 1890 the United States had 800 German newspapers and as late as the outbreak of World War 1 Baltimore alone had four elementary schools teaching in German only.

Bill Bryson: Mother Tongue.

It's a great book if you're even vaguely interested in the use and development of words in the English language. Informative and very funny.

I read it a few months ago, but for some reason someone seems to have dumped it on my computer desk, as such making it the nearest book to hand :)

hope said...

Titus, I'll be right over to serve up some sympathy. :)

Steven, you actually picked one of my favorite, sentimental subjects: fireflies!

Susan, just exactly HOW MANY adventures can you stand in one summer? :0 I'll keep my fingers crossed that they ease her slowly towards that wild world of work.

Kim, you never cease to amaze me...in a good way. :)

mapstew said...

Just to answer your question 'bout me handle;

Martin
Anthony
Partick
S
T
E
Wart.

xxx

;¬)

Geddit?

shug said...

Mine is strangely moving.

"whatever I got up to yesterday has given me a boil on the ass- and a big 'un too"

Money by Martin Amis

hope said...

Map....you are too cool! :) x

Shug, that quote made me laugh all morning...and heaven knows I needed the laugh. Thank you!