Saturday, August 8, 2009

Just the Way You Are

On Aug. 8, 1980, wearing my Mom's wedding dress,
(minus the hoop...yes, it had a hoop petticoat!)
I walked down the aisle and said, "I Do."
Check here for the hysterical version of the wedding day.
The hair styles have changed,
my 23" waist is history [sigh]
and after that day I never wore 4" heels again.
The dress now resides in the closet,
hoping when the nephew marries perhaps his Beloved
will be interested in it
as there are no other grandchildren on this side of the family.

My buddy from college sang the Billy Joel song of the title.
I picked it in hopes it would reflect that day, plus the future.

Don't go changing, to try and please me
You never let me down before
Don't imagine you're too familiar
And I don't see you anymore
I wouldn't leave you in times of trouble
We never could have come this far
I took the good times, I'll take the bad times
I'll take you just the way you are

Don't go trying some new fashion
Don't change the color of your hair
You always have my unspoken passion
Although I might not seem to care

I don't want clever conversation
I never want to work that hard
I just want someone that I can talk to
I want you just the way you are.

I need to know that you will always be
The same old someone that I knew
What will it take till you believe in me
The way that I believe in you.

I said I love you and that's forever
And this I promise from the heart
I could not love you any better
I love you just the way you are.


29 years later, the song still fits.
And "I still Do"

15 comments:

mapstew said...

Hey, many congrats to you both!

(I sang that song at a wedding last night!)

xxx

NitWit1 said...

Congratulations and many, many more anniversaries for you both.

Peggy said...

Congratulations to you both. Have not thought of your song for a very long time. I was singing along while reading the words. What a great song that was. Said it all didn't it.
Our anniversary is Aug 21, I can't believe it's been almost 38 years..egads.
Have a wonderful celebrations!

Susan at Stony River said...

Happy happy HAPPY anniversary! You were both gorgeous (love that tux!!) and your mother's gown is beautiful--I love that you chose to wore it for your own wedding. No WAY would I have fit into my mother's 1957 ivory linen wedding suit...except maybe the hat LOL.

I stil have my wedding dress too, but it's tired of 'hanging' around. I'm planning to cut it down for my youngest daughter's 1st communion, and hope she doesn't mind!

Thanks for sharing your special day. Your post put a smile on my face just when I really needed it (we're having too many autistic moments in this one, here!!)

Winifred said...

Oh that is fantastic. Happy Anniversary to you both.

I noticed how tiny you were before I read about your 23" waist. Mine is history too! I wouldn't mind seeing 30" again!

I get my wedding dress out occasionally and look at it. Can't believe I was ever that tiny. Looks more like a dolls dress.

hope said...

Thanks Map! [Hey, where's my version? I still think you need to post some Map audio!]

NitWit1, thanks. In exchange for not doing the 25th Renewal of Vows, I told hubby he had a 100 year contract. If he wants to leave me for some sweet young thing when he's 123, more power to him. :)

Thanks Peggy! See, we just know how to pick good men! Hope your day will be a happy one too.

Susan, I remember thinking that tux was so elegant. Now it practically screams "what were you thinking?" at me. :) Appreciate your other comments about my "special day"....I figured if that much went wrong beforehand, marriage would be easy. And I think your Baby Princess would feel honored to wear your dress for her special occasion.

Winifred, the funny thing is Mom and I always said we'd fix the "top" of that dress because it didn't fit either of us correctly. I'm a little more ample up top than she was but we never got around to that alteration. Considering how hot it was that day, I'm kinda glad we didn't! Oh well, I gladly traded in the 23" waist to keep the man in that tux. ;)

shug said...

beautiful pictures. Congrats,
Love
Hx

Eryl Shields said...

29 years, gosh! Whatever you're doing, you're doing something right. Congratulations to the pair of you, X

Titus said...

hope, many, many congratulations and marvellous photos - another culture for me, they look so American. I am going to be really rude and ask how old you were, because you look incredibly young! Thank you for the insight and sharing such a precious memory. Great tux (is that the right word?)

hope said...

Thanks Shug and Eryl. The man does get half the credit. :)

Titus I was 22....a year older than when Mom wore that dress. But I met hubby when I was 16 and we dated through high school and college. We joke that we met young and raised each other right. ;)

Titus said...

Wow.
In English, I'm sure you did. In American, You sure did.

Dr.John said...

Beautiful. Seems like you married the right person.
Congratulations on your anniversary.

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Happy Anniversary Hope, Wishing you many more happy years together

hope said...

Thanks Dr. John and Bill. I know it seems like bragging but so many people don't bother to marry or stay together. So, I guess I bragged. :)

Dave King said...

Congratulations and many, many more. Have a fab' life together.