Monday, June 8, 2009

Thanks!

Today I probably whined to several of you about the start of the Kids' Summer Program. With budget cuts, many of the schools we use as summer sites aren't available. For the first time we've also had to charge, not much but $5 per kid, per week can add up when you have more than one child in our program. We were told our cutoff this year was 75 kids...in a building I'm not sure holds 40...and only if those 40 have had duct tape applied to their mouths.

No, we don't do that. Yes. I have thought about it.

The acoustics in that little, cinder block building are horrible! Envision a small square, no windows [except the one in the Director's Office] and the fact those in power believe it's okay to leave 2 adults per shift with that many kids! I ponder the legality of it, much less the safety factor.

Anyway, whether you sent up a prayer or a smoke signal., rubbed a lucky charm or drank a pint out of pity on my behalf...THANKS! When I reported for duty at 3:00 this afternoon we had....11 kids. 19 had signed up all day and most left after the 2:30 p.m. snack. By the time 4:00 rolled around, we only had four.

Now if only those four don't tell the others I colored with them, read to them and explained we'll do crafts later on....I may make it to July 31st. :)

2 comments:

Susan at Stony River said...

You're welcome! LOL I'm glad to hear it turned out so well: I was worried about you at the mercy of so many kids.

Did I mention before (I forget) that you're an inch taller than I am? We so need to hang out someday.

hope said...

Okay, truth be told I'm only 3/4 of an inch taller...but it's just easier to say 5-1" for the Driver's License. :)

I'm about to head over there for Day 2...heaven help me.