Monday, June 15, 2009

Laugher is the Best Medicine


Last week ended weirdly. A co-worker, overwhelmed by the amount of work in the Summer Program, lectured me about forgetting to take out the trash. I said very little because [a] I'm Director of my own Center [and entire staff!] and had just finished playing janitor in my own building [b] It's not my job to clean up after her and [c] you can't win an argument with a woman that much larger than you. It left a bad taste in my mouth, increasing my appetite for another job.

Besides, it was hot. Worse yet, extremely humid. Like breathing from beneath a wet blanket that's suffocating you and keeping all the heat in. Then just when I thought it was safe to be Home, Sweet Home, Hubby's Mom ended up in the Emergency Room Thursday afternoon. By the time we found out, she'd been admitted. Thankfully what could have been a life threatening condition is responding to antibiotics...although she wasn't happy about being on a liquid diet until Sunday morning. Hopefully she'll be home by Tuesday, even if she's got two more weeks of antibiotics. That's a lot easier to take when you can sit in your own recliner and swallow a pill...no pun intended.

The Weekend meant household drudgery [yeah, like being the Director/Janitor/Etc isn't fun enough] like laundry. Then Hubby's sisters both decided they needed to come visit; one on Friday with her husband, the other on Tuesday. So on Sunday, Hubby and I go to visit his Mom, thinking we'll spend a little time with the other sibling, who was already back on the road prior to our arrival. We talked and Hubby's Mom wanted to get up and walk, so down the hall we went, the 3 of us and her I.V. pole. As we got to the elevators, which has a lobby where you can look out at the city, a distinguished looking white haired gentleman and his wife approached the elevators. Funny thing, I heard his voice and immediately knew who he was before I turned to face him. When I smiled both my Mom-in-law and the man's wife looked at me with polite curiosity.

"He's one of the reasons I made it to adulthood," I told Mom-in-law, knowing the wife would overhear. "He was my pediatrician."

Doc doesn't hear too well these days, but seeing his wife smile suddenly, he asked what had happened. "You were her pediatrician," she replied proudly, "And she remembers you." He looked pleased and nodded at me as the elevator doors closed.

I then looked at Mom-in-law and added, "Yep, he use to make house calls. I remember right before Christmas one year when I was 5 or 6, he sat on the couch with me, shooting the plastic top off of a needle-less syringe, like a rocket ship. I played along, but I just knew there was one with a needle in it waiting in his bag."

There was, but he had a very soothing voice. Ah, when bedside manner not only meant genuine caring but doing so while perched on someone's living room couch.

After our Sunday visit and lunch, Hubby decided a movie would be a good escape. It was even hotter and frankly, some good old fashion escapism sounded like a good idea. Plus we were full and wouldn't have to pay and arm and a leg for popcorn.

For people who rarely go to see movies in a theater any more, for some reason we've done so for three Sundays now. Always the matinee, as I hate crowded theaters. I always have some 6'4" giant come sit in front of me at the last moment and the talkative seat kicker is always behind me. So far we'd seen J.J. Abrams version of "Star Trek". Last week we missed the start of "Angels & Demons" so we settled for "X-Men Origins". Ken will appreciate my female chauvinist viewpoint that the best part was a shirtless Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds [prior to what they did to his face!]

Sunday we picked "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian". Why? Am I a Ben Stiller fan? No. Do we enjoy sequels? Not particularly. It was absolutely a suspension of reality as we know it, with humor thrown in for good measure. The theater had about 20 occupants, 15 of which were kids, mostly little boys. And you know the best part of that movie? Okay, beside the part where the dinosaur skeleton likes to wag his tail and play fetch. Or where Rodin's "The Thinker", when asked a question, answers like Rocky with, "I'm thinking. I'm thinking."

The best part was the laughter of little boys.

Hysterical, fall out of your seat laughter that went well past the polite adult guffaw. Especially at the stupid jokes. It engulfed you like a wave and carried you along for the ride. I grinned. I laughed heartier than most adults are suppose to because it was such a contagious, joyful sound. It was probably the highlight of a very bad four days and I wanted to high five every little boy as he left.

So if you'd like a moment to forget about being an adult, this movie is for you. A world where Amelia Earhart is the adventurous one and anything you can imagine, springs to life after dark.

Geez Susan, it's like watching those clouds come to life. :)

8 comments:

Susan at Stony River said...

That is so funny--today coming out of the hospital from hydrotherapy, my husband asked how it went and I said, 'It's the first time I ever went into a hospital and didn't run into someone I knew.' It had been weird, no catch-up conversations, no how-you-beens.

Then he points over my shoulder, I look, and our friend Patrick is coming down the hallway. What IS it about hospitals??

You've convinced me we should take the kids to see this museum flick---
Thanks!
;-)

Winifred said...

Sorry to hear about your Mum in law, hope she makes a speedy recovery. It was lovely you seeing your doctor again must have been nice for him and his wife too knowing you remember him and how appreciative you were.

Adam Sandler is my grandson's favourite actor, he obviously has great appeal to young lads. He made me watch A Night in the Museum with him when it came out on DVD. Children's laughter and comments are certainly infectious. I remember taking my son to the theatre to see Rupert the Bear with some little friends when they were 3 years old. They laughed and came out with some hilarious comments about the show. At the end a lady in front of us with 2 older children turned and said that they had been much better entertainment than the show. That was 36 years ago!

Hope your work colleagues improve! I remember going out of my way to support the team I managed and often a couple of them just didn't appreciate how much I was doing. They did when I left and they got a new manager! Maybe it's time to go.

hope said...

Susan, there is the occasional "adult" joke, which in one part was a dialogue between 2 monkeys, written on the screen. The kids knew the monkeys were arguing but probably didn't get the gist of it. It was fun to just laugh at something that made you feel like a kid again. Imagine a museum which springs to life every night, when the sun sets!

Thanks Winifred, she's doing better. [Ironically, her youngest sister is named Winifred]. :) Ah, the work crap. I've been looking for a while but this economy is not helpful for jumping ship, even when justified. But I continue to "hope".

mapstew said...

I rarely go to the 'fillums', but when I do, it's usually with the Youngest. And usually a kids fillum. And there's nearly the 'adult' jokes.
She begs me every time, "please don't laugh out loud when it isn't being funny, it's SO embarrasing"!

mapstew said...

'PUTS SPECS ON'
That should read 'nearly always the 'adult' kokes!

mapstew said...

JOKES! JOKES!

hope said...

Ah Map...today's been one of those days. It must've made my blog eat some of your words. ;)

Susan at Stony River said...

Well if the movie is any bit as much fun as Mapstew's comments, hey I'm there.
ROFLMAO!!