Thursday, May 7, 2009

Less Than Picture Perfect

Which sums up today. Be here at 8:30 a.m. sharp to leave for our out-of-town training, the Boss had stated in no uncertain terms.

We left at 9:10 a.m..

Did I mention our ride was the big van often used to transport prisoners? Being short, I always get sent to the back of the van. Fine. I actually have leg room. But the shoulder seatbelt left a gross tattoo on my new white shirt.... when it wasn't trying to lock me down against the seat so hard I couldn't breathe. You'd think I was an escapee or something.

I wish I had. Escaped.

Our training consisted of a two and a half hour presentation on the sexual abuse of children, complete with graphic interviews by adult survivors. Yes, a priest was involved in one case. The most shocking...the father of the first Miss America. She also uttered the line I couldn't get out of my head. Her father sexually abused her from age 11-18 and she always wondered why her mother allowed it to happen. One night, when dear old Dad was messing with her, Ms. America heard her mother coming down the hall, one footstep at a time. For one moment, she believed she was about to be saved, that her mother would fling open the door and set her free. Her father , she recalled, looked terrified. Then the footfalls turned and went away.

"My Mother made a choice," Ms. America said softly. "And she didn't choose me."

Wow.

The day pretty much went downhill from there. I won't bore you with the details. Here's to finding the better things in life.


I will learn to laugh like Smokey, who appreciates the little things in life.

I will continue you to see this as a potential wish maker, not a weed.

I will spend more time daydreaming in the hammock.

I'll appreciate the brilliant sunsets which grow in my back yard.
And I will never lose my childlike sense of wonder
when driving home to be greeted by that beautiful pecan tree.
Look Susan....my tree has a bellybutton!

5 comments:

Poetikat said...

I currently have a bunch of bouquets of wishmaker (well, pre-wishmakers)on my front lawn. I don't think my neighbours will be happy with me, but I like them!

Sexual abuse is such a hideous thing. I don't know if I could watch that - even for training. I commend you.

Kat

Peggy said...

Sexual abuse is truly awful definatly a crime of power over someone else.
Let's both run out in the yard and blow all the wishmaker's
that we can find!
Have a good weekend!

Rachel Fox said...

Now you've made me start the day with a tear!
Such horrible things people do.
x

Susan said...

Yikes, hon, what a gruesome day. Much better to be home under the pecan tree!!

hope said...

Well ladies, for nicer things to think of...Happy Mother's Day to all you lovely Moms this Sunday!


{And yes, I'll include anyone who has 4 legged kids like I do} ;)