Saturday, March 7, 2009

Go Fly a Kite!

Okay, I admit it. My job is...unusual. One minute I'm cooking lunch for senior citizens and calling Bingo, the next I'm doing homework with elementary school kids. And then there are days like today. Our Annual Kite Flying contest. This was my 15th one. Only one parent complained to me this year and sadly, he was right. Since my task is to take the entry fee by default I become the Complaint Department. Much to the man's surprise, I agreed with him, then apologized that those in charge of the microphone had forgotten how we play the game. He said the day was ruined for him and his two kids and I said I hoped he'd try again next year. He smiled and added he didn't think it wasn't my fault. Well of course not. The person game enough to apologize is hard to stay mad at.

Instead of stories of human nature at it's least lovely, here are some of the photos I took. It was the perfect day to fly a kite...just the right temperature and just enough wind to keep kites airborne instead of trying to wrap them around tall, immobile objects. Charlie Brown would've been in 7th heaven.

On your mark, get set....fly!


Kites came in all shapes and sizes...and the majority were flown by girls!




Okay, this was a "boy" entry....once he wrestled it away from his Dad.



The tails were often like jigsaw puzzles.


And Mom served as cheerleader, taxi driver and pack mule.


There were ribbons awarded and memories made.



And at the end of the day....

well, even the kites were tired.


4 comments:

Susan said...

Wow, what a sky! I love these photos; it looks like a wonderful day.

People who's anything is "ruined" by someone else, or by an unfortunate circumstance, drive me bonkers. I could give you a long list of people who "ruined" my wedding and other events in my life for one reason or another, but you know what? I grew up a few years back, and got over it. Sorry to whine about it, but I just get tired of the attitude which seems to prevail these days, that the world owes us happiness and smooth sailing all the time. Good for you for being nice to him (it sounds like he might really need it); I know it's not easy to work in public service. You handle it so well!

Poetikat said...

Looks like a fun day and you're lucky to have had such great weather. It's warmer here, but rain, rain, rain all day. Still, I'm not complaining - it was nice.

I had never flown a kite until a few years ago. My niece and I bought a kite that looked like a big hawk. We called him "Mordechai" after a hawk in the movie, "The Royal Tenenbaums". Mordechai got airborne quite a few times and we had a lot of fun with him. I felt like a kid again.

I enjoyed your joyous photographs, Hope. Thank you.

Kat

Rachel Fox said...

Yes lovely photos. And do I see people in short sleeves? Bliss.
x

hope said...

Yes ladies, it was a wonderful 79 degrees.

But Rachel, I forgot that white chicks like me [REALLY white] shouldn't wear short sleeves for long periods of time where there is no shade. I like look a lobster from the shirt sleeves down. :)