Saturday, February 14, 2009

What the World Needs Now...

...more than an economic stimulus package is a little love. Because if you think about it, if we were all willing to do our part and pull together instead of breaking into color coded groups, things would get done. Quickly. Without animosity and sneering at all. Then again maybe if we just did away with millionaire politicians who don't believe in paying taxes, things would be easier. Forget Joe the Plumber...get me Dave the C.P.A. who understands that if you don't pay your fair share, you go directly to J.A.I.L. [Do not pass "GO", do not collect $200]. If you've ever seen the move "Dave" [not that Eddie Murphy disaster!] starring Kevin Kline as President, you'll see what I mean.

On a lighter note, I'm sharing my little friend on the left with you because he represents long lasting, true love. The rose, a Don Juan, came from my garden last year. They have the most wonderful aroma....sweet, but not that overly sweet that gives you a headache 30 minutes after they enter the room. Ol' Don has a sentimental value. When we were dating, it was the first rose hubby ever gave me having picked it from his Dad's prize collection of roses. Sure, his Dad wasn't too happy at the time since it was THE first rose of the year. Then he found out who received it. Hubby got his sentimental nature from a really cool guy. [And yes, sentimental fool that I am, I pressed it between the pages of a book and still have it.] When we got married, the first rose bush we ever planted was...yep, Don Juan, which is a climbing rose. Hubby even built the trellis for it to sun upon. I wasn't able to transplant it when we moved, so hubby got me another one....and built another trellis. Now that's true love...and Don Juan is its signature scent.

The little bear was a Valentine's gift a couple of years ago. He sits on my computer desk, reminding me that real love is the result of trusting someone completely. Time just makes it sweeter. Which is why my cute little bear is lounging in over sized boxers covered in hearts. Real love is accepting a person the way they are....and a giggle never hurts.

Some people love Valentine's Day, some dread it, some view it as mere commercialization cloaked in chocolate. I see it as a day to remember that people are human; they hurt, they laugh, they have struggles and dreams. But if you find someone who believes in you, no matter what, then you don't need one designated day a year to be appreciative. After all, I've had the same Valentine now for over 30 years. And I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Okay, I know you male readers are either tearing up or gagging. So I'll share a scientific fact I heard on the radio this morning which might aid you if you forget something today. The frontal cortex of the brain is designed so that it can only handle 7 things at a time. [I know ladies, I hear your heads shaking but that's what the study claimed]. The scientist went on to say that the brain is wired to remember "7, plus or minus 2". That's one of the reasons Social Security and phone numbers aren't any longer. The study cited that a group of average adults was split so that half of them were given a 5 digit number to remember and the rest were asked to remember their Social Security number. Before they were asked to repeat the numbers, all were sent down the hall and given a choice of a snack of fruit salad or chocolate cake. To a person, those with the fewer numbers to remember chose the cake, which the scientist claimed was due to the fact they still had "memory space" left to make a conscious choice. Those with the longer number either chose fruit salad....or came back without anything.

What does that have to do with Valentine's Day? Well gentlemen, if there is something which you forget to do today, you can now smile sweetly and answer, "Gee, that was number 10 on my list and I simply ran out of memory."

Let me know if that works. ;)

Enjoy your day...however you spend it.


6 comments:

Radge said...

Alone. Couch. Phone turned off. Back to work tomorrow. I'm with the cynics when it comes to Hallmark Day. Sorry...

Susan said...

I enjoyed this! Ever since I met my husband, I've spent every Valentine's day hurt or lonely or hopeless... that's why I'm spending VD2009 in another country.

After reading your post, I feel better about Valentine's Day. If it's making some folks happy at least, especially if it's you, then I like it again.

Peggy said...

I also think that love just gets sweeter...a lot of laughter helps too!

hope said...

Radge deep down, I know you're a romantic optimist or you would've given up on women after some of your um...dating experiences. :) I won't get mushy on you...just glad to have you around.

Susan, the first part of your reply makes me sad. You're such a wonderful person that it irks me someone can't take the time to point it out! So I will...you are the Irish version of Wonder Woman and I appreciate having you in my life. You've definitely helped alter my "boringly normal" existence. THANK YOU!

Peggy...I agree. I think God knows what we can and can't handle. Shy young me dating lots of guys wasn't one of those things. So I guess He picked out a good one and pushed him in my direction. ;)

Dave King said...

I've just joined the cynics: I saw a V-Day card in a local shop to send to the partner you are proposing to dump and one for couples who want to break up in style!!

Radge said...

OK, OK, this is true... And work has been very pleasant thus far.