Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Yes, I Did Wonder Why

Every now and then life throws you one of those "What the...?!" moments when you least expect it. For better or worse, the majority of those tend to tickle my funny bone. I've discovered if you aren't rich or famous, possessing a sense of humor will get you through a lot in life.

Last evening I was driving home from work later than normal. I'd stopped to get some cold medicine for hubby, who is having his "once every 5 years" head cold from hell. It was dark as I went slipping through the countryside on my way home. Rural living means I pass at least four tiny country churches on my commute. One church has always made me more curious than the rest. Located in a deep curve, it's an AME church [if you're not from around here, that means the congregation is black]. The first time I noticed the church someone had erected a very large angel, probably four feet tall, which stood looking down over a grave. The angel stood out not just because of it's size amongst the small gray stones, but because it was black.

Oddly enough, two weeks later, that very same angel was white, to the point of shining. No, I don't have a clue as to what happened.

Due to the location of the church, I tend to be careful coming around that corner. If they're having a funeral, the road is lined with cars, with barely one lane to drive through. You have to possess good reflexes and the ability to let opposing traffic go first if they beat you to the curve. The added fun is that deer love to cross into the field across from the church, adding an extra element of excitement.

I slowed down, anticipating deer in the early evening. Instead four small, soft glowing balls of light caught my attention. Glancing to my left, I saw that four of the graves were sporting those small, solar lights that people tend to mark their home walkways. I looked again, just to make sure I wasn't imagining it.

It made me wonder. Are ghosts afraid of the dark? Or is it just a nightlight so they can find their way back again should they go for a midnight stroll?

8 comments:

Ken Armstrong said...

More mysteries... how can I hope to sleep? :)

The angel reminds me of 'The Secret Life of Bees' (the book, haven't seen the movie).

I see these nightlights on graves here and there. I think they comfort the living more than anyone else.

The graveyard which I will probably end up in has a McDonalds right in front of it. I am seriously toying with the idea of including in my will that a Quarter Pounder with Cheese be left on my grave every Fourth of July. That way some poor passer-by could have one on me.

hope said...

This must be a new "fashion statement" for the dead, as I've never those kinds of lights before.

What a nice man you are, thinking SOOOO far ahead in order to have someone celebrate July 4th with you. ;)

Susan said...

@Ken--WHO is going to eat a Quarter Pounder with Cheese they found on someone's grave? (well, besides my husband I mean...)

I agree, I think the solar lights are for the living. Sometimes I look out on a stormy black freezing night, and I do think of the lonely graves, and it's sad. Not that they mind, but there you have it.

Hope, here's to county roads! There's always something wonderful (in the old sense of the word as well as the new) along them.

Dave King said...

OO-er! Keep us posted. I can take a lot of that.

Ken Armstrong said...

Susan: Since you ask, my little fantasy includes my 'burger bequest' falling into folklore and legend soo that he who eats of the fabled burger on the 4th of July morn shall never suffer male-pattern-baldness or erectile-dysfunction or.. or.. anything!! :)

the broken down barman said...

have never been in the situation of seeing a mac d at a grave, but wouldnt rule out having a sniff to see if it was fresh!!!! all the graveyards round here get vandalized, could do with floodlights and razor wire fences to protect our dead.

Leon Basin said...

Hey, how are you doing?

hope said...

Susan, do you get the feeling guys will eat just about anything? :)

I've had better days Leon..how are you?