Monday, December 8, 2008

Tis the Season to be Jolly

Susan at Stony River Farm has shared an award with me…certainly a nice way to start off the week. The rules were simple: share 6 things I value the most ~ then spread the ♥ around!! Because she is so kind, I'm guessing that even the "creative" spelling of the award didn't stop Susan from passing it on. If I could hand her a marker, I know what would happen. :)

Like Susan, I omitted the obvious of family, home and World’s Greatest Hubby, even if he thinks blogging is an odd thing to do. That’s okay. I feel no need to go out and bring home a 12 foot alligator. As long as we have each other, and all our parts, differing hobbies are a good thing. Okay, I admit it. I did make one exception, but you’ll see why. Might as well start there.

Nephew Drew. He’s not just a great 9 year old, but until he arrived Mom had no grandchildren. I graduated, I married… I failed to reproduce. Grandmotherhood didn’t look good for Mom. With us unable to have kids and Sis not really liking them as a species, my brother and his wife suffered through a couple of miscarriages. Then they adopted Drew. The nicest thing my sis-in-law ever said to me was, “He’s not our baby, he belongs to all of us.” Drew is my buddy, the kid who likes to read. After showing all the other adults his Christmas toys, he still grabs my hand to go play with said toys. All right. It doesn‘t hurt that spoiling Drew is payback for all the things little brother ever did to me.

Words. I can’t imagine life without them. I love the sound some of them make when rolling off the tongue, especially when shared with an accent other than my own. I like the challenge of spelling them, counting on ditties like “i before e except after c”. Spell check may be ruining the world. A picture may paint a 1,000 words but it can’t replace a book. Words…free passport to the world.

Country Living. Maybe it’s encoded in my DNA since so many forefathers were farmers, but I love the smell of fresh earth in a newly plowed field. Our 125 year old farm house is surrounded on 3 sides by fields. I love seeing the wheat dance like green waves in the winter or having corn for a summer fence to block out the rest of the world. Okay, so soybeans aren’t lovely, but not all of life is pretty.

Music. I’ve never been the kind of person who HAS to have background music to function. I don’t have a huge collection of albums [yes, no matter how many CDs I own, they’ll always be albums to me]. I have a rather eclectic taste in music, if you subtract blue grass and rap. Music is for soothing, for calming me on that commute home when the world hasn’t been nice. Then again, I’ve been known to sing along, at the top of my lungs…as long as the car is empty.

Chocolate. Yes, I’m thankful for it. No, I’m not thankful for what it does to the hips but hey, I look at it this way. If I fall when I get old, perhaps chocolate will have padded me enough that I won’t break a hip.

Invisible friends. No, not the kind meaning you need medication. I mean YOU, out there, reading from the comfort of your computer chair. In these economically challenged times, you welcome me into your corner of the world without the price of admission. What a great mix of personalities! Sometimes I need to push myself, venture outside my comfort zone and see the world from someone else’s perspective. Thanks for your help.

Now I’m to pass the torch to 6 more, who may do with it as they see fit.

Rachel, my kindred spirit in the art of rambling. And yet she is capable of great poems utilizing the fewest words possible. I find that amazing.

Matt: who boldly goes where you couldn’t pay me to: white water rafting. I enjoy his adventures, vicariously, as he adds great photos.

Dave, the man I consider my Art and Philosophy professor. Many of the things glossed over by professors I paid my hard earned money to in college, Dave has finally explained. Properly. Learning should be an ongoing process, so I thank him.

Ken, who makes me burst out into spontaneous laughter while reading of his more human days. A man who can laugh at himself is more powerful than being featured on the cover of a certain magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive" tribute. We'll soon crown him King of the Limericks, I’m sure.

Poetikat for her blasts from the past…a past that I can relate to in a way that makes me celebrate my youth, not mourn it’s passing. It was fun, but who the heck wants to be 18 again? Don't forget to check out her poetry page as well.

The Barman. I know, his world is pretty foreign to me. But this award is for creativity, which means embracing people for who they are, not who we wish they were. There’s an interesting man in there when the bottle’s still sitting on the table... half full.

7 comments:

Rachel Fox said...

A great post. And some lovely words. As usual.
I will get to this but it might take me a little while. I've got a couple of other things to get out of my system first...plus I want to think about it properly.
x

Dave King said...

Much thanks for the compliment, but like Rachel I am pushed for time just now - have to pull the plugs in a minute or two - but will definitely come back to this. Hopefully, tomorrow. (I am sure I don't deserve your write-up, though.)

Susan said...

CHOCOLATE? How did I miss that!?

I love your list. Drew sounds like a treasure: the whole family does.

Great post!

the broken down barman said...

am shocked and stunned, to say the least. my first award. i would like to thank god, everyone who has helped me .... etc etc. cheers x x

Matthew S. Urdan said...

Thank you so much for the honor! It's much appreciated!

Poetikat said...

Hope, I'm at my in-laws, working on a friggin' Mac, but I have a couple of things to say: firstly, I wish I could have made your list of inspirational posts, but I fear I've been too out there to inspire anyone. Secondly, I admire the fact that your instinct is to find good even when you've been ticked off. I wish I were like that. I always find something positive from your posts. Thanks for that.

Kat

hope said...

I like BOTH of your sites Poetikat...I just relate to the "Blast from the Past" on a more personal level. :)

I enjoy reading a mix of writing..it's what makes life interesting.