Saturday, December 13, 2008

Because Susan Understands

Living in the country, I was amazed by our first Christmas at how many mice could sneak into your house uninvited! Guess they didn't know that line about "not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse" because at night, it sounded like they were having a party.

After one year of um....disposing...of quite a few, my grandmother Memaw gave me a special ornament at Christmas which she'd made: a little mouse asleep in a walnut shell. It was funnier still because I'd bought one to go on the tree for hubby, he who set and dumped the mouse traps. Yep, that Elf does have his fingers in his ears...pretty much the same position I take up when hubby sets the traps because I'm just sure they're going to snap and make me jump a mile.

Every year since, this duo has gone on the tree, together.

7 comments:

Ken Armstrong said...

I was in a house out in the country earlier in the year and the owner seemed paranoid about my leaving the door open for even the briefest minute.

"They'll come in," she said, "they always do."

Those mice seem pretty intent on being inside all right :)

hope said...

All they need is literally a quarter of an inch to squeeze inside...where there's warmth and food and stuff to chew on for the heck of it. :)

Susan said...

The WALNUT mice, my mother had a few of those! They were adorable too.

I love Christmas presents that double as inside jokes...intentional or not. It makes them more special. I'm surprised your husband didn't hang the tree full of mousetraps that year!

Susan said...

....did you say, a QUARTER of an inch???

hope said...

Yep. Sad but true. Rubbery little rascals.

Dave King said...

Here's to a mouseless Christmas for you!

hope said...

Thanks Dave!

Hmmm, saying that brought up another childhood Christmas memory of "Alvin and the Chipmunks" singing about wanting a hula hoop. One of them was always saying, "Thanks Dave". :)