Thursday, June 19, 2008

Note to Self

Dear Self:


You spent the last several moments writing up a concisely worded incident report detailing that when a 7 year old's foot slips and his head kisses a playground equipment pole, a huge knot results. I'd like to point out something. You wrote the entire saga in less than 250 words.

Your goal, like it or not, is to attempt 500 word pieces on your blog until otherwise notified.

I know, I know. There are just so many things you want to share and sometimes they come in a variety of shapes, sizes and colors. And emotions! Heaven help us endure all the emoting that sometimes works its way into one of your diatribes. I realize that coldly clinical doesn't come remotely close to describing your writing style. "Wordy" does. Kindly turn on your internal editor and do a little re-reading before hitting that "publish post" button. What? Your model didn't come with a blue pencil wielding internal Hitler who hates comma splices and poor spelling? Or am I confusing that with your English professor who threatened to strangle students with their own run on sentences?

But I have faith in you. In time, with some practice, you too could learn to tell the tale without worrying that anyone walking past your blog on a computer screen will be rendered comotose. I know you can do it. Thanking you in advance for your support. And yes, I do realize this policy will only be effective for a piece or two before you fall back into your errant ways. At least, as your conscious, I will have tried. Your ego, however, will still be rolling around on the floor laughing hysterically.

You're improving.... only used 289 words. This time.

4 comments:

Rachel Fox said...

Well done on the brevity! I think it has its place but there are times when you can't beat a good ramble too...

hope said...

Alas, I am incurable. This will probably be the shortest thought I write all week.

Perhaps you and I should invent Ramblers Anonymous...we don't need a cure, we just need to be understood. ;)

Dave King said...

B revity unless otherwise specified is my rule - which, alas, I do not always keep to. Interesting post.

Matthew S. Urdan said...

Hope,

Great comments on Ken Armstrong's blog regarding his Pico y Arte award. But I'd like to note, that even when writing without interuption, especially the older we get, sometimes our train does indeed get derailed. ;)

Cheers!