Sunday, June 29, 2008

Even Birds Do It

I'm assuming this is the Little Mama's first time building a nest. In fact I made the mistake of saying as much when my husband commented on her choice of location...my climbing rose bush right outside the back door. It's not so much the bush itself but the fact she chose a limb which sways in the breeze, is under the drip line and at a door we use frequently. In her defense, which may have been a girl thing, I replied,"Well, it's probably her first attempt at building a nest." My hubby, Mr. Outdoorsman, laughed heartily.

I think she's a female Indigo Bunting but she darts around too fast to be sure. I'm trying not to scare her to death, which is tough since she can see me through the storm door when I do the laundry. Hubby peeked inside the nest when she was taking a break the other day and made an interesting discovery. Along with her own 3 eggs, some lazy bird has deposited two more. It'll be interesting to see who hatches.

The photo isn't great because it was the wrong time of day, but you'll get the picture. No pun intended. What it is that Little Mama Bird has done? Recycled! Her nest is filled with bits of plastic bag and paper.

2 comments:

Fatoledude said...

Hope,

Where you been?

FOD

fatoledude@yahoo.com

Fatoledude said...

Hope,

Where you been?

fatoledude@yahoo.com