Friday, May 23, 2008

Life on the High Road

Last night Mom e-mailed me that she thought I was putting up with too much garbage at work and should find another job. Easier said than done. Plus, I like the seniors. I explained the latest strategy and her reply was to do what was best for me. I had to laugh.

Part of the reason I'm in this mess is because of Mom and "The Childhood Curse".

You know how it goes. Moms recite the childhood wisdom of their mothers, passing down little cliches that are suppose to help you in life. She taught it to all 3 of her children. My problem is I have too good a memory and took this one a little too literally. The other 2 don't remember it.


If a job is first begun
never leave it 'til it's done.
Be the labor great or small
do it well or not at all.


It was so ingrained in me that all Mom had to do was recite the first line and I'd trudge off, muttering the rest under my breath as I went to complete whatever it was I'd started. For my entire life I've been guided, or cursed, by that little ditty. It's become so much a part of my thought process it's like breathing. I just do it. I subconsciously contemplate if I even wanted to start something, knowing my conscious will make me complete it. Like it or not. I suppose taking a second look at things isn't a bad idea. It's probably saved me from a harebrained idea or two.


So in spite of the drama currently facing me at work, I'm saddling up to stay on the high road a little longer. Because the job's not done. Yet.


Wonder if I should find a better way to tie my shoes?




No comments: