Monday, January 7, 2008

Say...do I know you?

When you live in the country, you get use to seeing all kinds of critters that you don’t see anywhere else. In my driveway alone on any given day I can find tracks for deer, fox, coyote, birds, mice, cat and/or dog. And with the size of Boudreaux’s huge doggy feet, his are the easiest to identify. I’m also familiar with more birds than I ever saw in my backyard as a kid. Think the usual backyard menagerie, then add doves, owls, killdeer, cowbirds, black birds, bald eagles and crows. The last ones I could do without.

Why? Because crows are my mortal enemy during pecan season. They like to sit in the top of the tree and pick off the best nuts before they can plummet to the ground. Pecan trees have cycles: produce one year, take the next year off. When the tree is back from vacation, so are the crows. This year is our bumper crop and I’ve never seen so many crows before! Hubby will blast at them with his shotgun while I prefer the adult method of yelling, ”Get out of my tree!”

Driving to work, in the city, I see the metallic balloons with streamers that some farmers have placed in their fields to keep the crows and their cousins the black birds, from eating all their wheat before it has a chance to sprout. And once I get past the fields, I don’t give those loud freeloaders another thought.

Until this past month.

This past month I’ve found crows at my office. Not the stray one or two on the back 5 acres where the baseball field use to be. A dozen, sometimes more. And no, they don’t just graze out back. No, they like to perch on the roof of my building. Over my entrance to the building, to be precise. To drive up and find 10 crows sitting over your door in the CITY is like waiting for Stephen King to peek around the corner to whisper “Boo!” It’s never happened before. I suppose part of it is our drought and the crows are taking what they can find. Still, it’s weird.

Then last night I was watching a program where the woman had a crow keep coming to her house. She didn’t live in the type of area where crows are prevalent, so she believed in an old legend that stated a crow is the soul of a dead relative. In her case, she’d decided it was her Grandfather. I have no idea how she came to that conclusion but her legend included the belief that the crow was a loving spirit whose job was to watch out for her and her family.

Got to work this morning….crows. Okay, I had to laugh. This month is when the senior citizens pay their membership dues. I wonder if these crows are simply members who have passed on, but wanted to say “Hi!” in lieu of paying their money. One of them even has an attitude like one of the men who’s since passed on…very verbal with a tendency to be cranky. Hey, it’s better than believing Stephen King is behind my door.

You know, I’ve picked up so many pecans at this point, I’ve quit yelling at the crows. What if one of them really was the spirit of someone who lived there before I did? Mom always said it was nice to share. Besides, if people can have a black sheep in their family, why not a crow? :)

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Crow Lore

One Crow Sorrow
Two Crows Joy
Three Crows a Wedding
Four Crows a Boy
Five crows Silver
Six Crows Gold
Seven Crows a Secret
Never to be told.

hope said...

Should I be concerned that a group of these charmers is referred to as "a murder of crows"?

Bonnie said...

LOL!! you're right! I had forgotten that. Hmmmmmm....