Thursday, January 24, 2008

Different Tactic

I practiced the art of Remaining Calm today. The results were interesting. I ended the day feeling less stressed out than I have in months. No, it wasn't due to my vacation. I worked my butt off during my vacation but the To Do list was penned in my own hand, so it wasn't a chore. Laundry...now that's still a chore.

And no, I did NOT simply roll over and play dead while awaiting inevitable defeat. For every person who called me today in an agitated state, I let them vent, followed by heartfelt consolation, THEN my opinion. I got a lot more done today utilizing that method. Minus the stress of feeling like I am constantly going into battle, I asked questions I'd been putting off. Apparently my laid back approach was so under the radar that instead of the automatic "NO!" such questions usually elicit, I was given the courtesy of being heard, with a promise of an answer which will be born of conversation and deliberation. May not sound like much to you, but after almost 15 years, it's quite an improvement over the usual reply.

Gee, who needs Dr. Phil when a deep breath will do? :)

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

LOL!! yep, just remember to breath! Now if you can just keep that going for you :-).