Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Finding My Christmas Spirit

It's hard to feel like Christmas when it's unseasonable warm and you're in the middle of a drought. I've been running errands for everyone else but me and haven't baked the first Christmas cookie. Usually our live Christmas tree is what lights my seasonal joy. Yes, a live one. And until they outlaw them, we'll keep buying a live tree because the aroma keeps my childhood joy of the season well...alive. We finally got a Christmas tree, 10 days later than normal, but this year there was a bit of sadness to that tradition. The gentleman we usually get our tree from also has a fireworks stand and his father often helps him. On one of the few nights it actually got cold, the older gentleman went to light the heater and the worst thing possible happened: the fireworks stand exploded. Although good Samaritans ran to help the man, he died 4 hours later. His son disposed of the trees to another vendor. Understandably.

So this morning I decided maybe I could kick start the jolly part by listening to Christmas carols on my morning commute. Harry Connick, Jr. began to croon while my mind huffed in response.

Oh the weather outside is frightful.
Yep, frightful to the tune of 81 degrees today!
But the fire is so delightful.
It would be a delight to use our fireplace.
And since we've no place to go.
Don't even get me started on my list!
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
Let it rain, needs some rain, come on rain!


I must confess I use that last line, slightly altered, when I'm antsy, irritable or grouchy. When I find myself getting like that, I sing with a grin, "Let it go, let it go, let it go." Doesn't always work, but the fact I'm cheering myself on with an altered Christmas song makes me feel silly enough to adjust my attitude sufficiently.

I turned off Harry Connick and sighed as the grandfather in the red car ahead of me continued his reasonable pace of 1 mile under the speed limit. Wondering if I should pass, I glanced in the rear view mirror to see if anyone was behind me and found another red car. Almost against my will, a smile began to tug at the corners of my mouth. You see, I drive a green jeep. So our little caravan was red, green, red....like a mobile string of lights. As I laughed out loud, something to the right caught my eye. It was mistletoe, growing in the top of a tree.

Some days you just have to take your Christmas Spirit where you can find it.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Thanks Kim. The spirit of Christmas or the Christmas spirit has been eluding me also this year. Too many packages mailed back home reminding me I will be one more Christmas without my big crazy family. But you remind me I have a sort of family in my friends here. On one site we did Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer in pictures! We couldn't use words...and what a hoot! It worked and we had fun putting it together.